Middle School Confidential 3: What’s Up with My Family?
By Electric Eggplant
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
“A must-download for any digital library for 4th through 9th graders… My highest recommendation!” —Digital Storytime
Drama with family members can cause tweens and teens to do things that get them in big trouble and leave them feeling confused and frustrated. Based on Book 3 of the award-winning Middle School Confidential™ series, What’s Up With My Family?, this app goes home with Jack, Jen, Chris, Abby, Mateo, and Michelle from apps 1 and 2 as they deal with the fact no family and no family member is “perfect.” They run into a wide range of family matters from sibling rivalry to divorce to dealing with strong emotions in heated situations.
Written by parenting expert and teen adviser Annie Fox, illustrated by Matt Kindt, published by Free Spirit Publishing, and developed by Electric Eggplant, this graphic novel app enables readers to zoom right into the story world. The app puts decision-making power into the hands of readers, with 8 interactive quizzes that test which responses might improve a given family situation and which are likely to make things worse. With beautiful full-color illustrations and richly layered audio made up of movie-like sound effects and music, My Family will engage and inspire 8- to 14-year-olds (even reluctant readers!). As a bonus for parents and teachers, this app puts thought-provoking storytelling and solutions into the hands of kids who deal with tricky family issues every day. It will challenge them to think about their families in new ways and reveal that while life at home may not always be wonderful, appreciating family members and working together really can help to make things better.
“…this app series gives youth stories they can relate to with healthy messages about resolving problems, expressing feelings and understanding relationship issues… Electric Eggplant has set the gold standard for presenting graphic novels in the digital realm.” —Carisa Kluver, Digital Storytime
“Perfect for the home or school setting. Pass the word, this app is spot-on in helping this age group and their families deal with tough times! Share this app with teachers, school counselors, administration, the PTA or PTO, and other parents who have tweens or teens.” —Teachers With Apps
“Families can be wonderfully complicated. ‘My Family’ offers understanding and validation for young people and a roadway to conversation with friends, teachers, counselors and family members.”
—Jackie Bryla, SLPA
act - apps consulting and training
• Graphic novel format for easy reading
• Eight interactive quizzes test what you would do in a sticky social situation
• Page swipe or touch page edges for easy navigation
• Auto-save feature remembers your place in the story
• Info page allows you to jump to the beginning of any of the eight chapters
• 38 pages of story plus bonus Meet the Cast pages
• Two modes of reading: full-page mode or double-tap to zoom-in for frame-by-frame reading
• Movie-like sound effects and music (enhanced sound in zoomed-in mode)
• Compelling family stories that deal with universal tween and early teenage stumbling blocks:
+ Rules and Restrictions
+ Gaining independence
+ Communication challenges
+ Single parents
+ Getting along with stepparents
+ Out of control emotions
+ Sibling issues
+ Conflict resolution
• Thoughtful solutions for teens grappling with personal and family issues
• Designed for the hard-to-reach “tween” age group, including reluctant readers
• Powerful addition to an advisory or character education curriculum
• Ideal for teachers and counselors who use technology in the classroom
• CCSS (Common Core State Standards) Aligned. Free Project Based Learning guide on our website.
Know What's Inside—Moms with Apps approved.
Recommended Ages: 8-14
Categories: Books, Reading
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Books
- Released: Aug 14, 2014
- Version: 1.0.1
- Size: 64.1 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Electric Eggplant
- © 2014 Electric Eggplant
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.