Please contact me by mail. I can't help and reply, when you write only an App store comment! See user feedback below.
To improve sound quality, use an external Sound Module or for example the App Roland "Sound Canvas". All instruments of the "Sound Canvas" (SC-8820) are selectable. You can map all 128 GM instruments to other SC-8820 instruments.
Features of the "MIDI file player/recorder":
- MIDI files must be in the shared iTunes folder
- Plays MIDI files
- Records MIDI files
- 10 play lists (add, remove and move items)
- Auto next and random playing (MIDI file list and play lists)
- Loop function (wait time is adaptable by long pressing on loop button)
- MIDI Bluetooth LE supported (e.g. Yamaha MD-BT01)
- All instruments of the Roland "Sound Canvas" (drum set included) can be mapped to the General MIDI instruments.
- Plays and records at the same time e.g. for muting channels in a MIDI file
- Can be used as virtual instrument for your MIDI master keyboard, MIDI accordion etc.
- Plays and records additional instruments at the same time (needs MIDI interface like "iRig MIDI" and a MIDI instrument)
- You can change instruments, volume, reverb, chorus and panorama for each channel
- Transpose MIDI file (-5 to +6 half tones)
- Local sound ON/OFF
- MIDI Thru ON/OFF
- Show system exclusive messages (SYSEX) ON/OFF
- Filter SYSEX messages ON/OFF
- Notify text field for informations
- Easy file selection and possibility to find or rename MIDI files
- Send MIDI file by Mail
- Automatic file import (e.g. from internet), when you chose "open in MIDI player"
- Customer "SoundFont" can be placed in the shared iTunes folder. The name must be "GM_instruments.sf2" and it must support the general MIDI sound set including drums. Large "SoundFont" files may not work. Use very small "SoundFonts", when you have an older iPhone or iPad. For this devices you can try e.g. the "bennetng_AnotherGS_v2-1.sf2"
- Integrated Help
- Background playing
- 32 chord types are detected and displayed
- The chords can be detected on all channels or only on a specific one
- No sound: Is the silent switch set to OFF or volume too low?
- MIDI files using nearly all 16 channels and a lot of resources may not sound correctly. Try to mute some channels/instruments. This happens only, when using "Local sound" and some instruments (e.g. strings, synth pad, effects).
- The sound quality is lower for older iPhones and iPads due to the smaller SoundFont size. If some MIDI files do not sound correctly, please use a small SoundFont like the "Scc1t2.sf2". On some devices (older iPhones or iPads) the "Bagpipe" sounds wrong in my ears.
Some user feedback:
Perfect * * * * *
by Altoblues – Apr 11, 2018
A really useful app for choir members. The ability to mute some parts, transpose, and alter the pace of the music is great.
Fantastic * * * * *
byMoorlander - Sep 13, 2015
That said, not found any better apps for the function (and I've tried 6 now, free and paid), so great work, many thanks!
Coconut Ron's MIDI file player review. * * * * *
von Coconut Ron - Version - 1.1.8 - Aug 17, 2015
This app is worth every penny. Just what I was looking for without any snags.
:) * * * * *
von SNOWTIMEANGEL - Version - 1.1.6 - Jan 10, 2015
I like this app VERY MUCH. Ideal for learning choir parts, which is how I am using it at the moment. Customer Service is ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT. Great Value.
Great App! * * * * *
von Ungeheur - Version - 1.1.1 - Feb 17, 2014
This is one of the most useful apps I have run across. Far more useful than a simple player. It's ready then to be used as my "accompaniment" when I play along with my trombone. Thanks for a really useful app!
Plays MIDIs Perfectly * * * * *
by ClarkJacob4 - Version 1.0.1 - Sep 6, 2013
Plays MIDIs perfectly, and it's a very good price. File manager has import feature from my other apps which is excellent as well.
- Reverb is now also available for internal sounds, not only for external MIDI devices
- Touch on tempo value resets the tempo to "1" (normal tempo)
- Minor bug fixes
The new MIDI player "MIDIplayerS" is now available ! ! ! !
- New user interface
- Fast file selection with new search function
- Lyrics (song text) are displayed when present in the MID or KAR files
- Access to all documents (e.g. iCloud, Dropbox)
- see the "MIDIplayerS" in the App store for more informations
Ratings and Reviews
Blank spots. Cannot save.
Even with the March 2017 update, it still randomly stops making any sound--it will play a song beautifully, I will load another song from another app, and then neither the new song nor the old one maje any noise when I play them. The only solution I have found is to delete and reinstall the app.
When I download and play certain files from the internet, sometimes notes which I know should be there and that I can hear in other apps simply do not play.
When I copy a new file to the app using itunes with extension .midi, nothing happens. This isn't as bad as I thought since it recognizes files with extension .mid as MIDI files but is a liitle annoying.
It lets you edit the MIDI settings (instruments and volume for individual channels) but there is no usable way to save your work. The app designer seems to think I should record the whole edited song and then save that, but for a long song I do not have the time. Also my settings keep randomly reverting to the original settings so I have to make the same changes over and over again.
The sound on this is great, it sounds better than any other midi app I have tried. But it needs to actually play the notes that are there and there needs to be a way to get files onto the thing!
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your comments.
Please contact me by mail (email@example.com) if you are interested on help. There are too much things, that I can't reproduce on my devices.
Please send me a MIDI file, which causes problems.
You are absolutely right, that it would be nice to save the edited song without recording it. When I knew how to do it, it would be integreated since a long time.
UPDATE: The developer contacted me right after I made this review and we conversed through email back and forth until he was able to fix this issue! Very pleased with his support!
We use this app all the time and it works wonderfully. Really love the loop and the fact that the chord names are displayed. One thing we use this for is turning one channel up over the others, but when you pause play back and advance the position in the song it loses the volume settings and all channels play at the same volume. Is there someway that could be remedied? Thanks!
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the feedback. Should no more happen with version 2.0.5.
I also use this app with Pianodisc and it is almost perfect. It does however need a couple of tweaks. Firstly the ability to create Playlists. The one FAVORITES button isn’t adequate in a large library.
The other annoying thing is having to reset the volume after each track as Pianodisc is set to about 35% and when it goes back to 100% it is dangerous to the piano.
The continuous track play is buggy. Sonetimes works sometimes doesn’t.
I soooo want to make this app my preferred midi player and would pay for add ons. Keep up the good work and look forward to some more updates.
Developer Response ,
Hello, thanks for the feedback. I have added play lists (version 2.0.0) and random playing (version 2.0.1). Please assure always, that the volume information of all used MIDI channels are present in the MIDI files.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.