By Christian Schoenebeck d/b/a Crudebyte
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
The Swiss army knife for your daily MIDI setup tasks. Connect a MIDI keyboard, MIDI sound expander or any other MIDI device to your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch by using the Apple USB camera adapter or any other adapter supported by Apple. Visualize and monitor MIDI messages sent by the connected MIDI device or send MIDI messages to those connected MIDI devices. This is a simple but helpful tool to find problems in your MIDI setup or simply to spot what kind of messages various MIDI devices are sending exactly.
This app supports all hardware and software sources for MIDI, including Bluetooth LE MIDI !
• Lists all CoreMIDI devices (i.e. attached MIDI accessories) and all so called "virtual CoreMIDI ports" (i.e. audio Apps) on your iPad / iPhone / iPod touch.
• Displays incoming MIDI events of external MIDI hardware and local MIDI apps in real-time.
• Send MIDI Note-On, Note-Off and Control Change messages by using the virtual MIDI keyboard, buttons and rotary knobs.
• Virtual on-screen MIDI controls are fully configurable, so you may assign other MIDI controller numbers and more.
• The virtual keyboard keys, rotary knobs and buttons automatically update to the values sent by connected MIDI devices.
• JACK MIDI support.
• Filter out MIDI events you are not interested in.
• Copy MIDI events with one tap to the iOS clipboard, and paste them as text in another app like Mail.
This app is free, and it does not contain any ads or other annoying things. Really!
What's New in Version 1.3.7
• Adds native 64 bit support.
• Adds Bluetooth LE MIDI support.
• Fixes issue on recent devices and recent iOS versions where the virtual MIDI keyboard did not appear on the screen.
• Allows to adjust font size of MIDI events and MIDI device names on settings screen.
• Adds more filter options for MIDI System Exclusive (SysEx) messages and MIDI Control Change (CC) messages.
• Shows now a red warning text in case some MIDI filter is enabled.
• Adds "Copy" popup menu when tapping long on the MIDI events display, which copies all MIDI events as multi-line text to the iOS clipboard.
• Minor graphical updates.
Does what I need
I am using several midi compatible apps on my iPad. Each time I come back to my piano to do something, the first thing I do is power up my piano, turn on Bluetooth on my iPad, and open MIDI Wrench to reset the iPad connection with my piano's MD-BT01 Bluetooth adapter. It works every time. I do see that this app does a lot more, but I don't need any feature other than making the connection.
The only reason I am not giving this five stars is because, if I take a break (20-30 minutes?) without turning off either my Piano or my iPad (and my iPad is set to never auto-lock), I sometimes discover my connection has been disconnected. Then I have to reopen this app (still running in background) and reconnect. As long as this app is still running in the background, it should wake up often enough to keep that connection alive.
New to MIDI or mixed up about setting up your IAA's? GET THIS!
Ok! I use alot of Synth IAA's... to do alot, but from a practical perspective I use C3B3 organ every week live at my church. I play it through Tonestack's rotary and scanner pedals, all on my phone. I use different apps with 3 different MIDI controller's, depending on what's needed.
All I can say, is that it BLOWS MY MIND that this app is FREE!
This simplifies the WHOLE operation, in everyway, all the time, and I'm no expert-
I'm very happy- Thank You! Wow.
Unsure? Knock it off and SIMPLIFY! just GET THIS APP.
I'd even say it's necessary for IOS MIDI app-playing artists and sound folks alike-
Thanks for making this diagnostic tool.
- Category: Music
- Updated: Apr 12, 2017
- Version: 1.3.7
- Size: 6.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Christian Schoenebeck d/b/a Crudebyte
- © 2012-2017 Crudebyte
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.