MidiPatterns is a multitrack, pattern-oriented, MIDI step sequencer. You can use it as a simple drum machine, or to handle complex multi-timbral, polyphonic scores, controlling multiple hardware and software synthesizers at once. Please note that MidiPatterns does not generate sounds by itself.
• virtually unlimited number of polyphonic midi tracks per document
• output to multiple MIDI devices, directly connected or linked through a network
• virtually unlimited number of patterns per document, each with a size variable between 1 and 256 steps and specific time signature settings
• each step in a track can send volume plus 8 midi controller messages
• randomizing capabilities to improve expressiveness: notes properties (velocity, duration, probability, swing) and step controller messages can be set to change subtly and randomly during playback
• patterns can be assembled in variable length sequences
• imports and exports MIDI files
• MIDI clock synchronization, both as master and as slave
• articulated mute and solo configuration
• the interaction with the score grid has been completely revised and now allows to directly define the duration of the events without resorting to the modulations editor.
• the “overlay” mode and the corresponding switch on the control bar have been removed, since now you can access the contextual menus of notes and events with just a “long press”; the overlay in the modulations editor is now always active to give access to the contextual menus of each slider.
• the “general” page of the preferences panel has been renamed “score & events”, has a new icon and includes a new panel devoted to the events in which you can assign their initial attributes.
• the “initialization” page of the preferences panel has been renamed “tracks & patterns” and adds the ability to choose whether to include a percussive or/and a chromatic track when creating a new document, or even none.
Ratings and Reviews
Can’t get it to sync with external clock
Can’t get it to sync to external clock, it forgets settings half the time when I save them it doesn’t save. Seems very buggy. Needs some work - conceptually it is exactly what I want but it isn’t fully functional, please put some more work into this, it has a lot of potential.
All exported midi clips are empty. I have tried to publish a review of this app since purchasing, but Apple has not published any of those I have witten.
Great with my V-Drums for prep of sampled drum loops
USAGE- I'm a drummer and use MidiPatterns in my home studio to help prepare sampled drum loops that I later trigger during live performance.
GEAR- MacBook Air and iMac (running MidiPatterns), Roland V-Drums (TD-20 module), Roland SPD-SX Sampling Pad
PROCESS- Construct MidiPatterns drum loop pattern > send midi to Roland V-Drum module and make final instrument/sound selections > revisit MidiPattern to tweak modulation (dynamics) for non-mechanical sounding loops and add/subtract instruments > finalize V-Drum effects processing and drum parameters > use sampler to capture the V-Drum output (driven by MidiPatterns)
Although I could play my V-Drum pads and record/capture midi within the V-Drum module, this software makes my process much EASIER. Specifically, it saves me time from having to re-record a performance if I'm unhappy with the dynamics or want to add/subtract things within the loop. Additionally, it is very easy to mute/solo a specific instrument, which is particularly helpful for the process of dialing in effects processing within the V-Drum module. All in all, this software has saved me a TON of time and I was very happy to find it!
In summary, I'm EXTREMELY HAPPY with this easy to use and relatively inexpensive software... a true bargain!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.