Midori is a Japanese-English, English-Japanese dictionary. It's a perfect tool for those who are studying Japanese, with 890,000 entries, 150,000 example sentences, and many features that will make your Japanese learning experience much easier.
• More than 170,000 word entries. Each entry shows readings, meanings, and kanji breakdown.
• More than 12,000 kanji entries. Each entry shows readings, meanings, and example compounds.
• Example sentences with furigana (small hiragana above kanji).
• Words in example sentences are linked to the definitions.
• Over 6,000 kanji with stroke order diagrams and stroke order animations.
• Over 720,000 Japanese proper names, place names, given names, company names and product names.
SEARCH & TRANSLATE
• Search words by kana or romaji, such as あき or aki
• Search kanji by drawing them. Our Japanese handwriting recognition can handle arbitrary stroke order.
• Search kanji by radicals, e.g. 禾 + 火 -> 秋
• Search suggestion when the input is in a conjugated form, e.g. 走った -> 走る
• Search with wildcard characters, e.g. 日*人 returns all words that start with 日 and end with 人
• Search with the SKIP system
• Partial results when the full word is not found, e.g. searching for 青い本 returns the results for 青い and 本
• Fast incremental search gives you the result instantly as you type
LISTS & BOOKMARKS
• List of kanji as taught in Japanese schools from grade 1 to 6
• List of kanji by frequency as appeared in Japanese newspapers
• List of kanji and words by Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) levels
• Lists of hiragana and katakana, each with stroke diagram and animation
• Bookmarks with folders support. You can export, import, or share bookmarks with your friends.
• Flashcards for bookmarked words and kanji
• Audio pronunciations (from speech synthesis)
• Create a vocabulary list with definitions from Japanese text in one tap
• Scratch pad for practicing writing kanji on iPad
• No internet connection required. The app is completely offline.
• 3D Touch support
• Split View on compatible iPad
• Universal app. Buy it once, run on all your iOS devices, whether it's iPhone or iPad
Visit our website at www.midoriapp.com to learn more about the app. If you have any questions, please let us know at email@example.com Thank you!
- iOS 11 compatibility
- When you search for a word in a conjugated form, Midori now tells you what form it is. For example, "作られる" is "passive."
- Lists of kanji taught in Japanese high schools
- Bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
I bought an iPhone ONLY to use this app!
I am a mid-level student of Japanese, who’s been self-teaching myself for almost 20 years. Without this app, my Japanese reading ability drops by 50%. The only reason I bought an iPhone is because it’s the only thing that will run this app. Get it now!!!
Superb tool for Japanese language study
Midori is an extremely comprehensive and effective tool for Japanese language study. The best out there in my view. The example sentences, range of vocabulary, ability to customize lists and share them and the eye-friendly layout are just a few of the great features. The responsiveness and support from the developer are also excellent. Highly recommended.
Best Japanese dictionary
This is by far the best Japanese dictionary on either iOS or Android. The fact that you can search via word, sample sentence, and even name is super useful. Also, I’ve found that the quality of the database itself is superior to other apps (better definitions, more definitions, etc). Props to the developer for maintaining such a useful app. It was well worth installing.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.