Midori (Japanese Dictionary)
By Sukolsak Sakshuwong
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Midori is a Japanese-English, English-Japanese dictionary. It's a perfect tool for those who are studying Japanese, with 890,000 entries, 150,000 example sentences, and many features that will make your Japanese learning experience much easier.
• More than 170,000 word entries. Each entry shows readings, meanings, and kanji breakdown.
• More than 12,000 kanji entries. Each entry shows readings, meanings, and example compounds.
• Example sentences with furigana (small hiragana above kanji).
• Words in example sentences are linked to the definitions.
• Over 6,000 kanji with stroke order diagrams and stroke order animations.
• Over 720,000 Japanese proper names, place names, given names, company names and product names.
SEARCH & TRANSLATE
• Search by kana, romaji, or combination of both, such as あき, aki, or aき
• Search by handwriting using Japanese handwriting recognition. It can handle arbitrary stroke order unlike some other apps.
• Search by kanji radicals, e.g. 禾 + 火 -> 秋
• Search suggestion when the input is in a conjugated form, e.g. 走った -> 走る
• Search with wildcard characters, e.g. 日*人 returns all words that start with 日 and end with 人
• Search with the SKIP system
• Partial results when the full word is not found, e.g. searching for 青い本 returns the results for 青い and 本
• Fast incremental search gives you the result instantly as you type
LISTS & BOOKMARKS
• List of kanji as taught in Japanese schools from grade 1 to 6
• List of kanji by frequency as appeared in Japanese newspapers
• List of kanji and words by Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) levels
• Lists of hiragana and katakana, each with stroke diagram and animation
• Bookmarks with folders support. You can export, import, or share bookmarks with your friends.
• Flashcards for bookmarked words and kanji with spaced repetition system
• Audio pronunciations (from speech synthesis)
• Create a vocabulary list with definitions from Japanese text in one tap
• Scratch pad for practicing writing kanji on iPad
• No internet connection required. The app is completely offline.
• 3D Touch support on iPhone 6S and 7
• Split View on compatible iPad
• Universal app. Buy it once, run on all your iOS devices, whether it's iPhone or iPad
Please visit our website at www.midoriapp.com to learn more about the app. If you have any questions, please let us know via email at email@example.com or Twitter @MidoriApp. Thank you!
What's New in Version 1.8.9
See a new kanji and not sure how to write it? The handwriting recognition can now recognize kanji written in any stroke order.
(Writing kanji in the correct stroke order is still very important for learning Japanese.)
If you like Midori, would you mind rating us on the App Store? It helps us a lot. Thank you!
I really like this app better than most others out there. You can disable/enable different features for the flash cards so they appear as you want them to. Being able to draw the kanji is very helpful too.
The only feature that would make the app perfect is being able to choose a folder and practicing flash cards from all subfolders. Right now you can only practice one set of vocab at a time, but it'd be great to be able to mix them up.
If you study Japanese and have an iOS device, you need this app
Midori is essential for Japanese language students. If you're wondering whether or not you need this app, the answer is "yes". Its value far exceeds its modest price. Finally, the developer is the most responsive I've ever had the pleasure of interacting with; he takes great pains to make Midori as comprehensive and polished as possible.
This app is great for learning, and reference. I used it successfully several times to quickly look up key words and build sentences when I was in Japan. You can enter a word in English and are presented with options - and pronunciations. This is really nice if you suspect that you know what a sign says, but want to validate.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Jan 24, 2017
- Version: 1.8.9
- Size: 176 MB
- Languages: English, Japanese
- Seller: Sukolsak Sakshuwong
- © 2017 Sukolsak Sakshuwong
Compatibility: Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.