MilGPS - MGRS & USNG Grid GPS for Land Navigation
By Cascode Labs Pty Ltd
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
MilGPS is an MGRS/USNG focused premium navigation tool trusted by soldiers, search and rescue personnel and other professional navigators around the world. View your current location and navigate to a waypoint in seconds. Or plan and organize your navigation using the powerful and intuitive mapping and overlay capabilities.
Display your current location in real time
- Cell phone signal not required but will make location fixes faster (maps require a data connection)
- Military Grid Reference System (MGRS) & United States National Grid (USNG) (4, 6 8 10 figure grid references supported)
- Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM)
- Latitude/Longitude (degrees, degrees and minutes, degrees minutes seconds supported)
- Ordnance Survey National Grid (grid and easting/northing in metres)
- Military date time groups for local/zulu time
- All info is displayed in large, clear text for easy viewing at all times
- Location and navigate screens are fully customisable - choose what info you want to see
- Wide variety of datums supported including WGS84, NAD27, OSGB36, AGD66, ED50
- Define up to 3 combinations of datum and location format for location display and waypoint entry
Create and navigate to waypoints
- Unlimited waypoints (upper limit dependent on device storage and memory)
- Enter waypoints from current location, map or using any of the above supported location formats.
- Live update of distance/bearing as you enter coordinates (sanity check your grids)
- Waypoints are fully editable, and can be sorted by distance or name
- "Quick goto" feature for quickly entering grids and navigating to them - accepts shortened MGRS grids.
- Receive an arrival indication as you approach your waypoint
- Import and export waypoints via the standard GPX file format (routes and tracks not currently supported)
- View current location and waypoints on map, complete with custom smooth scrolling grid overlay (MGRS/USNG/OSNG/UTM)
- Choice of Apple or Google maps.
- Use the crosshairs to position new waypoints and measure distances/bearings
- Choose from standard/satellite/hybrid/blank map type
- Grid overlay with labels for grid zones, 100km, 10km, 1km, 100m squares
- Map can be set to follow your current location and/or heading.
- Simple, intuitive interface that can be operated easily with one hand.
- Convert between location formats easily using the add waypoint screen
- Supports degrees/mils for angle, with choice of true, magnetic or grid north reference.
- Supports feet/metres for altitude
- Supports imperial/metric/nautical units for distance
Why choose MilGPS over other apps?
- MilGPS is under active development and testing (since 2010)
- MilGPS is painstakingly crafted by an independent developer
- MilGPS emphasises accuracy, simplicity, ease of use and stability
Things that aren't in the app (yet):
- track recording
- offline maps
- ability to create routes of multiple waypoints
- mapping sources other than Apple and Google maps
NOTE: Mapping function requires a data connection. Using GPS will shorten battery life.
YOUR USE OF MILGPS IS AT YOUR OWN RISK
MilGPS is an aid to navigation only and is intended to be used in conjunction with other navigation methods and tools.
MilGPS must not be used where relying on MilGPS could result in death, injury or financial loss. This includes use on military operations, live-firing activities, aviation and surveying use.
MilGPS is not tested to military specifications and is not endorsed by the military of any nation. MilGPS is not a substitute for military issue equipment.
Your use of MilGPS is governed by the standard App Store Licensed Application End User License Agreement.
What's New in Version 6.2.0
- Under the hood upgrades and enhancements.
- Added analytics on an opt-in basis. Please consider enabling analytics, the information collected will be used to improve the app.
- Bug fixes.
I work in the Kuwaiti desert where I may have to navigate at night over long distances. Anybody that has ever had to navigate in the desert knows what a challenge it can be, especially at night. This app is by far the best land nav tool out there. When properly setup and calibrated, the accuracy is on par with a dedicated GPS. I have verified it against several GPS's and it has always been within 10-15 meters of the intended point versus the GPS. I highly recommended it. However, as
a word of caution, to ensure the best accuracy take the time and select the correct settings. If you are using MilGPS in the MGRS mode as I do, and you are using it in conjunction with a military map, be sure to select magnetic north versus the defaulted true north setting.
Game Changer for work
I'm a geotechnical engineer. I use this for work to locate points from kml files, or even to create my own kml files (I use an online converting tool to go between the gpx format the app uses and the kml format of google earth). I do a lot of field work, and spend a lot of time trying to find stuff: equipment, buried instrumentation, test hole locations, that gate I have the combination for in that annoying 100 mile long fence, etc. Needle in a haystack type stuff. This app is a game changer. Has made my job so much easier. People at work ask me about it all the time.
The Best GPS App There Is!
I've used several other GPS apps, and the functionality and straightforward design of MilGPS is hands-down the best I've found. I use the app to mark waypoints at places my girlfriend and I have taken the kids, explored, etc.
I'd like to know, however, is there a way to export waypoints/overlays to other mapping applications? I'd like to be able to share this information or view it on another application, like Google Earth Pro, for example. I'd even settle for a spreadsheet or tab-separated file.
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Oct 04, 2016
- Version: 6.2.0
- Size: 44.3 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Cascode Labs Pty Ltd
- © Cascode Labs Pty Ltd
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad Wi‑Fi + Cellular (3rd generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (4th generation), iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), and 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular.