Minds of Modern Mathematics
By IBM Corp.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
If you have ever wondered how mathematicians and mathematics have shaped the world we live in, this is the app for you. The Minds of Modern Mathematics takes you on an interactive journey that spans nearly 1,000 years. It tells the story of mathematics and how it has impacted almost every aspect of human progress, from science to music, art, architecture, and culture.
Minds of Modern Mathematics is a digital recreation of a 50-foot-wide wall installation that was part of the groundbreaking 1961 Mathematica exhibition sponsored by IBM and designed by the legendary design team, Charles and Ray Eames.
Composed with the same passion for design and interactive learning that fueled Charles and Ray Eames, the Minds of Modern Mathematics lets you explore the fascinating history of mathematics on your own terms. Features include:
• Millennium view: Get a bird’s-eye view of the entire history of math, including the explosion of discoveries in recent times.
• Century view: See the rich interplay of ideas between contemporary mathematicians, culture, and history.
• 3D Chronological view: Step through the entire timeline one object at a time.
• Mathematician profiles: Discover each mathematician through a high-resolution portrait, detailed personal biography, achievements, related artifacts, and links to online information resources.
• Artifacts: Explore 495 high-resolution images of artifacts selected and painstakingly retouched from the original Mathematica exhibit.
• Original poster: View a fully navigable, ultra high-resolution version of the original Men of Modern Mathematics poster that has been proudly displayed in mathematics departments and classrooms around the world.
• Eames mathematics films: Watch nine original Eames educational films, experiencing these master educators’ genius at making complex topics easy to understand.
What's New in Version 1.01
- Bug Fixes for iOS 5
Fills a void in high school math
There was a time back when I started teaching in the 60's when a number of large corporations invested time and money into providing educational materials (films, kits, etc.) to schools and teachers. Admittedly, some tried to embed a commercial message, but there were some like IBM and AT&T that appeared to be focused on stimulating interest in science and learning. In a time when the bottom line drives most corporate endeavors, it's nice to see at least one corporation that is still willing to fund projects such as this. This is a solid reference tool and fills a void in that most high school math texts neglect the study of the growth and development of the discipline. Thank you, IBM, for a nicely executed and worthwhile app! Now if we could only get it projected...
The app doesn't work after the initial startup screen. None of the buttons respond, and the app hasn't been updated in a while. It would be nice to have support for Retina display.
Great app, but doesn't work after the iOS update. It'll show the opening screen, but then it just gets stuck on the loading screen. If this gets fixed then it's 5 stars easily