By Christoph Lauterbach
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Minimal Sudoku is an easy to use, clutter-free classic sudoku game which is designed for iOS 8. It's ad-free and offers different levels for everybody from casual gamers to addicted masters of sudoku.
— no ads
— unlimited puzzles
— GameCenter integrated
— universal, runs on all iPhones and iPads
— landscape mode on all devices
— elegant, clean interface
— fast and focused
— frequent updates
— friendly support
What's New in Version 2.0
— added GameCenter
— greatly improved and more balanced design
— new, less dusty icon
— looks great on iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
— works like a charm on iOS 8
— many bug fixes
If you like Minimal Sudoku, we’d appreciate if you gave us a review on the AppStore! This helps us to further improve and support the app.
This is absolutely the best looking and most usable sudoku app I've come across. And I downloaded quite a lot of terrible ones before finding this app. Sadly, at about level 30 these puzzles seem to have no logical way to solve them. I do Will Shortz books of hard sudoku all the time and have no trouble reasoning my way to solutions. But at a certain point with these I just have to pick a cell with only 2 pencil marks and choose one of my options. I've sent screen shots to my engineer/math major husband, and he too is unable to reason his way to a solution for these puzzles. That really takes a lot of the fun out of this app. I would be completely addicted and eager to spend money on the higher difficulties if the puzzles were able to be properly solved without guessing. The other thing I don't like is if I want to play an easy puzzle before bed or something, I then have to redo all the levels of the medium difficulty again.
Current version is less "minimal"
I have loved this app for several months. Gave it 5 stars on my original review. The current version introduces several poor changes, in my opinion.
- GameCenter. I dislike GameCenter. I find it intrusive. I don't play sudoku to compare myself to other players, I do it to stretch my mind and relax. Having a GameCenter notification pop up disrupts the minimalistic feel of this otherwise good app.
- I dislike the new larger rounded number buttons. They feel somewhat childish to me, and the proportions of the numbers to the circles do not match up well.
- When the game is finished, the animations and screen changes move too fast. Again, disrupting the zen minimalism of the app.
- The prompt to change levels is no longer nicely centered in the middle of the screen, it is in the lower left corner, disrupting the beautiful symmetry the app used to have.
- I dislike the new icon. Bright purple lines and lettering? Too bright, too attention-grabbing. Prior icon was more "minimal".
Overall, this still remains a very nice sudoku app. Gameplay works wonderfully. Layout is strong. But what was an outstanding app is now merely a good app with the design changes involved in the new version. Thankfully I still had the old version saved on my computer and I have "downgraded" back to the old version.
Uncluttered, beautiful, and smart
This is the most attractive Sudoku app I have seen, and the promise of an uncluttered interface holds true: the difficulty level increases with improved results, seamlessly. I appreciate the mildly competitive aspect, and especially the lack of random penalties. You can play this version against time at the beginner's level, yet feel comfortable taking your time when things get difficult, without any obtrusive prompts in the process. Gorgeous and relaxing. The best basic Sudoku.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Oct 01, 2014
- Version: 2.0
- Size: 2.4 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Turkish
- Seller: Christoph Lauterbach
- © Christoph Lauterbach, Lindau/Germany
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.