The Minimoog Model D App is a mobile transmutation of the world’s first portable synthesizer, the Minimoog Model D®. Optimized for use on all 64-bit iOS devices, anyone can jump in and play with over 160 included presets or lay fingers to the controls and begin exploring vast magical realms of creative potential.
Taking full advantage of the iOS platform, the Minimoog Model D App incorporates a number of inspiring sound creation tools and capabilities not present on its analog antecedent. New functions include the ability to play chords with up to four-note polyphony, an easy-to-use arpeggiator for rhythmic pattern creation, a real time looping recorder with unlimited overdubbing capacity, a tempo-synchronizable stereo ping pong delay module, and the Bender -- a wide-range stereo time modulation effect module.
The Minimoog Model D App also supports AUv3 Audio Unit extensions, which allows multiple instances of this powerful instrument to be used simultaneously within compatible iOS apps like Apple’s GarageBand®.
A BRIEF HISTORY
Introduced by Moog in 1970, the Minimoog Model D served as the archetype for all electronic keyboards that followed. It gave users the ability to design their own sounds, translating imagination into reality. The Minimoog’s portability, affordability and accessibility made it the go-to instrument for musicians looking to expand beyond the traditional sounds of the time. Bernie Worrell used the Minimoog Model D to establish Parliament Funkadelic’s futuristic funk sound. Kraftwerk employed the Minimoog Model D on the successful concept album Autobahn, sparking an entirely new genre. Gary Numan replaced his live band’s guitars with Minimoog Model Ds, creating the prototype for industrial music. The classic sound of the Minimoog Model D can be heard on Bob Marley’s Catch A Fire, Michael Jackson’s Thriller and Dr. Dre’s The Chronic; Detailed in the mini-doc series “A Brief History Of The Minimoog”.
• Ships with over 160 presets (Hundreds more available in the Minimoog Model D App Store)
• Up to 4-notes of polyphony
• Easily share presets and audio recordings with friends
• Arpeggiator module with note-hold capability
• Stereo ping-pong delay effect
• Bender time modulation effect
• Real-time looping recorder with overdub and immediate sharing
• Selectable envelope shapes and triggering behavior
• Effortless MIDI CC mapping
• Seamlessly backup presets to iCloud
• Play mode for easier panel and keyboard interaction
• A new take on the classic feedback/overload path
• All 64-bit iOS devices
• AUv3 Audio Unit Extensions (Including GarageBand)
• Note-per-channel MIDI controllers (MPE)
• Ableton Link
• Inter-App Audio and Audiobus
• 7 and 14-Bit MIDI
• MIDI Program Changes
• Bluetooth LE MIDI controllers
• Share over AirDrop, Mail or other iOS applications
• Fixed the recorder 4-beat count-in with Ableton Link. When connected to Link, the recorder now blinks for a moment while the app is syncing to Link Tempo. Once in synced, the recorder starts its count-in as usual.
• Midi Bank Change was wrongly responding to CC0 only, while it should have been CC0 and CC32, with CC32 being the LSB.
Ratings and Reviews
Like Model 15, Moog has made another must own cornerstone for any iOS synth collection.
True hardware synth devotees will always insist that the original vintage hardware is superior to any digital emulation. Well, I don’t own a real 70’s Model D, but whether it’s a 100% spot recreation or not, this app sounds incredible.
It’s no secret there has been another popular Model D clone on the App Store for a few years, and it sounds great. But the Moog is superior to my ears, there’s a warmth and ‘woolliness’ to the sound that captures some of that character the analog filters & transformers gave the originals.
I’m more of a Songwriter/Musician who leans towards guitar, but mess with synths a lot for atmosphere, pads, some leads, etc. Even in that limited capacity Model D’s potential for me is extremely exciting. For EDM, House, trap & hip-hop producers this app is a goldmine of excellent presets & full control over this great legendary synth. Highly recommended.
I think this synth is amazing except for not really knowing what your parameters off the knob changes really are.. without a parameter window(monitor), while making parameter-knob changes, knowing what you’re doing will rely completely on ear as opposed to visually seeing it happen by the numbers and being able to dial in your desired results. I mean I know this is an older synth from the 70s, but if you’re gonna bring it into the present at 2018, then give it the benefit of present technology and evolve this platform instead of keeping it stagnant with the same limitations as the physical synth from the 70s.
Also, this needs way more in app purchases for sounds/patches.. maybe every couple of months a new batch??!?? Not everyone is a sound designer and could use more professionally made patches so they can focus on music creation instead of sound creation.
Moog, help us out here..
Overall great, but difficult to use with Seaboard
The sound, interface, and presets are all fantastic. My only gripe about the interface is that legato and polyphony must be enabled from the settings menu and aren’t immediately accessible. It also took me a while to find the INIT preset (hold the save button). I was surprised that this wasn’t in an “Uncategorized” bank.
Controlling the app with a Seaboard RISE has proven difficult. If I put the app in MPE mode, then the Slide-axis of the Seaboard controls the mod wheel. If the Seaboard is in MPE mode, then the absolute position of you finger on the key will be sent as the CC value, causing the mod wheel to be engaged during normal playing.
The app also only supports a maximum pitch bend range of 12, meaning that you cannot do pitch bends across the full range of the Seaboard.
In-App PurchasesSee All
Mercurial Strategies 2
Sonic Mayhem 2
Cabinet Of Curiosities
- Moog Music Inc.
- 199 MB
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Moog Music Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Hyperdimensional Pads $1.99
- Astral Explorations $1.99
- Cabinet Of Curiosities $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.