By Kenzo Yamaguchi
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
"If you need the digital equivalent of an egg timer on your Mac, you can't go wrong with the cute little US$0.99 Minutes." - TUAW
Minutes is a simple and colorful timer.
For example,it can be used for the time left until a meeting begins,the time to walk the dog,or the time to go pick up your child.
Give it a try. See how the small, close-at-hand timer works for you when your schedule is packed and you may forget something.
You can make Minutes into a little friend on your Mac for those important times in your busy life.
Operation is as simple as putting up a memo on a cork board.
- Starts immediately when you smoothly turn the triangular knob.
A colorful appearance
- Choose from any of four color combinations: keynote, picnic, concert, or halftime.
- Match your mood or your desktop.
- The timer can be set for any time from 1 minute up to 6 hours
- An alarm will sound when the time is up. (The count can be repeated when using the extended functions)
- An iTunes playlist will be played
- iTunes will be stopped
- Multiple instances of Minutes can run simultaneously.
What's New in Version 1.0.2
Simple. Visually informative and pleasing. Really great!
Great little timer. Not overly complicated and gets the job done.
The way I use it: I have a lot of distractions while I'm trying to work. I use a couple of these timers to set a block of 15-30 minutes (or whatever) of working time. The timer is always in view and seeing a working block of time counting down helps me to focus on the job at hand. Similarly, I set one for breaks so I don't run over. A five minute timer is perfect for checking email and RSS feeds.
Since the timers are visually distinct, I can see adding ones for things like reminding me to get up and away from the computer every hour or to make sure I'm drinking enough water, etc. For the way I work, these are super useful. Glad I saw this reviewed in Macworld.
Great little app
Minutes is a great timer app. It makes setting the timer easy, having multiple alarms easy, and is good about getting out of the way OR staying on top of all windows.
Some things I'd like to see:
-Different sounds for the timer
-App-specific alarm, maybe a way to set it so all other system sounds are muted and the alarm app can play on its own
-Similarly, a way for the volume to scale up gradually
-An option to keep the alarm sound repeating until you click on the window
I really enjoy using Minutes, and I know it'll just get better with each update. Thanks!
Very basic, cute interface
I like the simplicity of this app -- it's about as easy as using a kitchen timer. A few things I would recommend for the next version:
* A choice of alarm sounds with ability to preview them, like iPhone alarm.
* If you click anywhere in the round white face, OOPS! you just reset the alarm. That's not good. Make it a double-click.
* Add a button to create a new alarm so I don't have to do it through the menu.
* More styles/colors would be nice too.
All in all, though, I'm happy with my purchase!