This unofficial companion app for WaniKani improves the experience of doing WaniKani lessons and reviews while on iOS devices. Please note that a WaniKani account is required to use this app.
• Do reviews and lessons with an in-app web browser, with support for community-produced user scripts. (All user scripts are disabled by default and must be enabled in the app settings.)
◦ Jitai: https://community.wanikani.com/t/Jitai-字体-The-font-randomizer-that-fits/12617
◦ WaniKani Override (also known as the "ignore answer" script): https://community.wanikani.com/t/Userscript-Wanikani-Override-ignore-answer-button-active-support/17999
◦ WaniKani Improve: https://community.wanikani.com/t/WaniKani-Improve-222-—-faster-and-smarter-reviews/2858
◦ Markdown Notes: https://community.wanikani.com/t/Userscript-Markdown-Notes-updated/11462
◦ WaniKani Hide Mnemonics: https://community.wanikani.com/t/Userscript-WaniKani-hide-mnemonics/3923
• 1Password support for auto-filling your WaniKani login details
• Receive notifications when reviews are due
• Lists upcoming reviews in the review timeline
• Progress for current-level radicals and kanji, including time until next review and quickest time to Guru
• Notification Centre widget
Feature requests or bug reports can be made by either posting on the WaniKani forum page, or raising an issue in the GitHub repository.
Forum page: https://community.wanikani.com/t/iOS-Mobile-AlliCrab-for-WaniKani/10065
WaniKani Improve works again after the recent change to the WaniKani website. Once you tap the screen during a review session, there will be a short delay before the item goes green and auto-advances to the next item. This is expected and now unavoidable.
Jitai once again will cycle through more than just two fonts.
WaniKani Double Check has been removed. It needs updating as it will otherwise cause disconnection errors once a planned WaniKani site update proceeds in August.
iOS 11 crash fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
A Godsend To Have Available
This app has been a godsend, making it possible for me to study when there's been no other effective or functional options for me technology-wise. I typo very often, and sometimes respond with the Japanese reading instead of the English meanings too, both particularly bad the more tired I am... and face it: we're studying Japanese. Tired is our normal state. WaniKani Override script is critical if you want to keep your head above water. This app makes it, Improve (Lightning), and a couple other scripts available, plus offers a handy interface that lets you see how your workload is going to be, and the general status.
*KEEP AN EYE OUT if you're using the scrips on PC/Firefox: the "Override" script on Greasemonkey is abandonware, and is showing signs of having broken again this summer. It should be functional on this app, however.
Best wanikani app out there
The app is quick and responsive and has any features you could need to use wanikani from your phone. The UI is clean and very easy to look at. It even includes a lot of the extra enhancements commonly added through user scripts on the web version.
You get review notifications, a review Timeline, actual times and item counts for reviews, current/average level duration, options to enable commonly used user scripts (override, improve, jitai, markdown notes, and hide mnemonics, and I’m sure the list will grow), and the list continues.
This app honestly is way better than the desktop version and makes wanikani even more pleasant to work with in my opinion.
AlliCrab is a great little app, and effortlessly delivers everything you need for all things Wanikani. I hear what people have said about it only linking to the WK website, but actually the app works best in it's simplicity. It doesn't feel cluttered or cheesy, (and the always-tastefully-brief home screen art will make you wish you had a few seconds longer to feast your eyes on its rich composition.) :-p Add-on scripts definitely enhance the functionality of reviews and lessons. And, with its subtle and timely review reminder messages, Allicrab's really pushed my daily study time up, and has made my reviewing easy and more effective.
- Chris Laverty
- 46.4 MB
- Requires iOS 8.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2015 Chris Laverty
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.