The Moog Model 15 App is the first Moog modular synthesizer and synthesis educational tool created exclusively for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch.
Each facet of the Moog Model 15 modular synthesizer has been meticulously recreated in this application to ensure the power and transcendent sound quality of each module remains intact. The character, harmonic complexity and mystique of the Moog Model 15’s modules, from the legendary Moog 921–series oscillators and 904A Low Pass Filter, to the coveted 907 Fixed Filter Bank have been painstakingly preserved.
In order to develop the most immersive and expressive modular interface possible, the Model 15 App has been designed utilizing Apple’s new Metal advanced graphics engine. This ensures that all zooming, panning and modular patching throughout the application feels completely natural, something that would have been impossible otherwise.
The Model 15 App features both monophonic and 4-voice polyphonic operation is easily commanded via 4 seamlessly integrated controllers. Simple swipes and taps provide instant access to a traditional Moog keyboard, 1150 ribbon controller, 8-step sequencing arpeggiator and the award-winning Animoog keyboard with 22 built-in scales and polyphonic modulation capabilities.
Also included are extended features which expand the capabilities of the app beyond the traditional offerings of the hardware Moog Model 15. These include total MIDI integration, assignment for external control, use as a MIDI controller, dedicated Audio Bridge and MIDI Bridge modules, looping recorder module with overdubbing, a master ping-pong delay module and a new extension cabinet that includes additional amplifiers and voltage-controlled reversible attenuators that can be used for effects like ring-modulation.
Because the Model 15 App utilizes Apple’s Metal technology, only 64-bit devices are supported. Compatible devices include iPhone 5s or newer, iPod touch 6 or newer, iPad Air or newer, and the iPad Pro.
The Model 15 App requires iOS version 9.3 or later to work.
• Ships with over 160 unique presets
• Recreates the sound of a hardware Moog Model 15 modular synthesizer
• Easily share presets and recordings with anyone
• Tutorial patches to assist all experience levels
• Intuitive patching and cable coloring
• Support for landscape and portrait modes
• Voltage-controlled stereo ping-pong delay
• Expressive sequencing arpeggiator
• Moog 1150 Ribbon controller
• Real-time looping recorder with overdub and immediate sharing
• Up to two controllers on-screen (iPad only)
• Optional left-handed UI operation
• AUv3 Audio Unit Extensions
• 3D Touch and Apple Pencil integration for after pressure
• Note-per-channel MIDI controllers
• Ableton Link
• Inter-App Audio and Audiobus
• MIDI Bridge and Audio Bridge
• 7 and 14-Bit MIDI
• MIDI Program Change
• Bluetooth LE MIDI controllers
• Typing keyboards for shortcuts and musical typing
• AudioCopy, AudioPaste and AudioShare
• Fixed the recorder 4-beat count-in with Ableton Link. When connected to Link, the recorder now blinks for a moment while the app is syncing to Link Tempo. Once in synced, the recorder starts its count-in as usual.
• Fixed an issue where disabling "Vertical Slides as Modulation" while playing the keyboard would keep the modulation active.
• Midi Bank Change was wrongly responding to CC0 only, while it should have been CC0 and CC32, with CC32 being the LSB.
Ratings and Reviews
You'll need a 12.9 iPad Pro and external keyboard
So this synth sounds great. And the skeuomorphic design looks good. It's just a UI that is not user friendly on a regular sized iPad. With the keyboard loaded the synth area is far less than half the screen. The labels are very small, and there is a lot of continual zooming and unzooming and panning required. And also there is a lot of loading and unloading of the keyboard to test the sound if an external keyboard isn't available. If I was already familiar with the interface from using an actual Model 15, then it might be okay (and surely not many of us will have had that chance). But to learn how to patch as I go is a real pain. As is trying to analyze how preset patches are put together. At the very least I would suggest updating with the option of a smaller keyboard, one that doesn't take up a third of the screen. Or more so an alternative digital interface that fits on the screen and functions more simply. Being a slave to the original look, while kind of a novelty, is just not that functional. And I am growing fatigued of this before I have even begun to learn how to program it.
Laarz, Thank you for your feedback on the Model 15 App. We'd like to address some of your concerns:
"You'll need a 12.9 iPad Pro" - The Model 15 App is compatible with multiple Apple devices -- many users are running the instrument all the way down to an iPod Touch
"UI that is not user friendly on a regular sized iPad." - The Model 15 App's user interface contains many gestures for quick navigation as well as a Side Navigation Bar for quick access to various aspects of the instrument. Take advantage of the Side Navigation Bar and Double-Tap gestures to greatly accelerate navigation. All gestures and navigation controls can be referenced in the Model 15 App's user manual.
"With the keyboard loaded the synth area is far less than half the screen" - Each keyboard can be collapsed using the Collapse Button or quickly swiped away and back using gestures.
Thank you for using the Model 15 App and we hope these tips improve your experience with the instrument.
Your friends at Moog
Right out of the gate, I was completely blown away with this app. The sound, the graphics, the attention to detail Moog put into this are incredible. Operation on an Air 1 is smooth; I haven’t had any issues with cpu overload so far. But what really impresses me about this is that it can be controlled with a Bluetooth QWERTY keyboard. You can play notes and zoom in and out of specific modules without having to touch the screen... and that’s just the start. You can also control the note velocity, change presets, and so much more. The only downside is that note length is fixed to half a second unless you press tab before you press a note key (you have to then press tab twice to release the note).
I wish there were more tutorials detailing how each module works, however. Tutorial wise, all you’re shown is how to set up a patch with the filter and envelopes and that’s it.
Despite that, this app is definitely worth the money. It quickly became a favorite of mine.
Can't go wrong with Moog
Everything that carries the Moog brand name is just top notch and so is this app. Fantastic sounds and features and value. Great looking interface with eye for every detail. I love the analog feel and sound when tweaking the various knobs. I have not encountered any bugs myself. Unlike a lot of other apps Moog really seem to thoroughly test their software before releasing it instead of using users as their beta-testers. I won't be using names but there are some developers out there with expensive apps that make me feel like i am paying to be their guinea pigs and test their broken software. I never had that with any Moog app and i own them all. This one is already a classic in my book just like Animoog or Model-D.
Thanks to the Moog developers to support the iOS platform and provide us with amazing synth apps. Two thumbs up and highly recommending all of their apps.
In-App PurchasesSee All
- Moog Music Inc.
- 239.5 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), and iPod touch (6th generation).
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2016 Moog Music Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Psychotropic Synthesis $2.99
- Sonic Mayhem $2.99
- Textural Points $4.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.