By Moog Music Inc.
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
The Moog Model 15 App is the first Moog modular synthesizer and synthesis educational tool created exclusively for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch.
Each facet of the Moog Model 15 modular synthesizer has been meticulously recreated in this application to ensure the power and transcendent sound quality of each module remains intact. The character, harmonic complexity and mystique of the Moog Model 15’s modules, from the legendary Moog 921–series oscillators and 904A Low Pass Filter, to the coveted 907 Fixed Filter Bank have been painstakingly preserved.
In order to develop the most immersive and expressive modular interface possible, the Model 15 App has been designed utilizing Apple’s new Metal advanced graphics engine. This ensures that all zooming, panning and modular patching throughout the application feels completely natural, something that would have been impossible otherwise.
The Model 15 App features both monophonic and 4-voice polyphonic operation is easily commanded via 4 seamlessly integrated controllers. Simple swipes and taps provide instant access to a traditional Moog keyboard, 1150 ribbon controller, 8-step sequencing arpeggiator and the award-winning Animoog keyboard with 22 built-in scales and polyphonic modulation capabilities.
Also included are extended features which expand the capabilities of the app beyond the traditional offerings of the hardware Moog Model 15. These include total MIDI integration, assignment for external control, use as a MIDI controller, dedicated Audio Bridge and MIDI Bridge modules, looping recorder module with overdubbing, a master ping-pong delay module and a new extension cabinet that includes additional amplifiers and voltage-controlled reversible attenuators that can be used for effects like ring-modulation.
Because the Model 15 App utilizes Apple’s Metal technology, only 64-bit devices are supported. Compatible devices include iPhone 5s or newer, iPod touch 6 or newer, iPad Air or newer, and the iPad Pro.
The Model 15 App requires iOS version 9.3 or later to work.
• Ships with over 160 unique presets
• Recreates the sound of a hardware Moog Model 15 modular synthesizer
• Easily share presets and recordings with anyone
• Tutorial patches to assist all experience levels
• Intuitive patching and cable coloring
• Support for landscape and portrait modes
• Voltage-controlled stereo ping-pong delay
• Expressive sequencing arpeggiator
• Moog 1150 Ribbon controller
• Real-time looping recorder with overdub and immediate sharing
• Up to two controllers on-screen (iPad only)
• Optional left-handed UI operation
• AUv3 Audio Unit Extensions
• 3D Touch and Apple Pencil integration for after pressure
• Note-per-channel MIDI controllers
• Ableton Link
• Inter-App Audio and Audiobus
• MIDI Bridge and Audio Bridge
• 7 and 14-Bit MIDI
• MIDI Program Change
• Bluetooth LE MIDI controllers
• Typing keyboards for shortcuts and musical typing
• AudioCopy, AudioPaste and AudioShare
What's New in Version 2.0.4
• Improvements to iPhone X support.
• Fixes to certain widgets that didn't properly support MIDI mapping.
• UI performance improvements.
Version 2.0.3 introduced:
• Support for iOS 11.
• Support for iPhone X.
• Support for AUv3 extension instrument and insert/trunk effects (please use the latest iOS 11 version for the best performance).
• Support for iPad Pro 10.5" at native resolutions.
• Support for the latest Ableton Link libraries.
• Support for iPhone X.
• Fix for banks and presets sometimes not being sorted on some devices.
• Fix for AUv3 in GarageBand sometimes initially loading a silent tutorial preset.
• Fix for sharing the Current Bank through Share panel.
• Updated all libraries to latest versions.
Aliased, Yet Playable
Moog Model 15: The App has set out to do the impossible. It's not going to be possible for any software to ever avoid aliasing. That said, if you're willing to lay down your sword and give this experience a chance, you'll find it to be quite playable. And if you've ever played around with VSTs that attempted to model this kind of a synth in the past, you'll have a lot more fun and be more satisfied with the audio.
One of Moog's killer features in their iOS apps is the ability to touch a knob with one finger and as long as you don't let that finger off of the screen, you keep control of it. By doing that to a lot of knobs selectively over time one can gain a kind of invisible orchestra of control that just doesn't happen in the hardware world.
What would give this app five stars?
1. There's some sort of swipe action that switches between the keyboard(s) and the ribbon controller. Boooooo. Get rid of that. Y'all, that's where I'm trying to play this slip n slidey thing.
2. Legibility. I know the original hardware was black with white labels but perhaps an inverted color scheme would help? I agree that it's rough on the eyes sometimes. I borrowed a huge iPad pro from work and was amazed that the modules still didnt fit at a comfortable size. BUT the ability to "latch" a touch eases the frustration. Again, give it a chance
Great sounding emulation of a classic modular synth! Includes some great patches which can be easily modified or studied to learn modular synth sound design. Sound quality is extraordinary. I like that Moog designers included the Animoog keyboard which makes it easy to play expressively in a particular key. The arpeggiator has been great to work with; simple but capable. It's nice that the recent update made the app audio unit capable, but being pretty CPU intensive, most hardware would have some difficulty keeping up with more than a few iterations of Model 15. It would be nice if the included tutorials would go a little further. Perhaps something to look forward to in future updates.
Thank you thank you thank you. I've been trying to patch that for years
- Category: Music
- Updated: Dec 19, 2017
- Version: 2.0.4
- Size: 240 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Moog Music Inc.
- © 2016 Moog Music Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, and iPod touch (6th generation).
Top In-App Purchases
- Psychotropic Synthesis$2.99
- Sonic Mayhem$2.99
- Textural Points$4.99
- Mercurial Strategies$5.99
- Sinfonietta Sintesi$2.99
- Alien Systems$3.99