Modernist Cuisine at Home
By Inkling Systems, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
For the the first time ever, create modernist cuisine in your own kitchen with the interactive eBook version of the award-winning “Modernist Cuisine at Home”, exclusively on Inkling.
FAST COMPANY: "It's been designed, not as a book, but as a personal sous chef."
GIZMODO: "The world's most beautiful cookbook is now a beautiful app."
Using videos, high-res photography, and thoughtful new tools developed for the interactive eBook, you'll discover the science behind the techniques of your favorite avant-garde chefs, and learn how to elevate 400 classic “comfort” food recipes like chicken noodle soup and mac-and-cheese with Modernist Cuisine’s signature tips, tricks, and hacks.
The beloved print cookbook has been meticulously transformed for iPad and iPhone, and includes extras not found anywhere else. In addition to 260 more recipes and 359 more photos than the print version, the interactive eBook includes new features such as 37 cooking technique videos, recipe scaling, and shopping lists that sync between all of your devices. For anyone who is fascinated by the art and science behind what we eat, this is a must-have app.
* More recipes and photos: Explore 416 recipes (including 270 new full recipes based on the print book’s suggested variations), 1,683 photos, and additional hints and tips from the Modernist Cuisine team. All recipes are classified on a scale from “easy” to “advanced”, so you can find what fits your needs.
* Technique videos: Created exclusively for the new interactive edition, 37 videos show important techniques in action, such as how to properly execute the water displacement method or the right way to use a blowtorch on your steaks.
* Helpful tools: We’ve added new tools to make recipe planning and grocery shopping even easier. Find recipes by ingredient and level of difficulty with the Recipe Finder, and then scale the ingredients based on how many people you’re cooking for with the Yield Converter. Before heading to the grocery store, add it all to your Shopping List and check things off as you go. Your shopping list syncs between your iPad, iPhone, and web browser.
* Gorgeous photography: Get up close and personal with Modernist Cuisine’s iconic photography from the comfort of your iPad and iPhone. Tap on any photo or slideshow to use the full real estate of your device, and zoom in on every detail with just a pinch out.
* Step by Step recipe walkthroughs: Dive deeper into a new recipe with a Step by Step. Each Step by Step contains detailed instructions, numbered steps, instructive photos, and even how-to videos to help you master a recipe with ease.
* Embedded links: Curious about what “sous vide” is or where to find xanthan gum? Just tap to find out. Blue-and-white “poptips” provide instant definitions, and embedded web links send you directly to the right places to buy what you need.
* Share: Want to let your friends and family know what you’re about to make? Instantly post anything from inside the book to Facebook and Twitter, and they can access it right away!
* Search: Need to find something quickly? Search the book, your notes, and even Google and Wikipedia, while barely lifting a finger.
* Sync seamlessly: Easily sync between devices with your Inkling account. Add a recipe to your shopping list on your iPad, and then pull it up on your iPhone at the store.
What's New in Version 3.5.4
- content updates
Superb book, app still has a few minor bugs.
The book is wonderful. The content is amazing, and it really will shake up any conventions a "traditional" home cook might hold. The directions, pictures, and organization of content are all top-notch.
The elephant in the room: The price feels high for an app, but if you're even considering this purchase, it means you've probably already weighed this purchase against the print version of Modernist Cuisine. Besides, this cost is likely dwarfed by what you'll be spending on kitchen tools. I found, even at the current price, this was by far the best way to obtain the vast knowledge of Modernist Cuisine.
My only complaints are a few of the bugs that appear related to a nascent app. For example, I'm currently completely unable to "log in" to "register" via Facebook, and signing up for the inkling account hung the app (restarting fixed it). Some of the screen transitions feel jerky, even on an iPad Air. Scrolling between chapters has been unreliable on occasion, and sometimes sections jump ahead a little to soon (when I was just trying to view the bottom of a section). None of these affected my rating, however, as they really didn't dampen my experience while I started to digest the contents of this book. I also imagine them easy to fix in future versions.
Simple instructions to cook amazing food
This is an amazing book for anyone who loves cooking, loves eating, and likes to experiment. The book/app goes into the science of cooking, and teaches you how to cook meals like you eat at a fancy restaurant. The pictures are beautiful, and the instructions are clear for anyone who knows at least a little bit about cooking.
However, before you buy this book, you should know that it can be a little expensive buying some of the tools you may need (sous vide cooker, siphon, pressure cooker, blow torch, scales, thermometers, blenders, special ingredients, etc.). You don’t need the special tools for all of the recipes, but you do need them to make the most of the cookbook.
The other thing is that some of the recipes do take a long time to cook.
For myself, this book has helped rekindle a love of cooking, and I enjoy experimenting with the recipes in this book every chance I get.
I love the information this app offers. Beautiful pictures and very easy to understand. The one complaint I have is how this app or book scrolls (Top to Bottom) from page to page. When I scroll unknowingly to get to the bottom of a paragraph to finish reading it flips the page. This is the only reason I gave 4 stars instead of 5. Overall great app!!!
- Category: Food & Drink
- Updated: Jan 28, 2014
- Version: 3.5.4
- Size: 1.50 GB
- Language: English
- Seller: Inkling Systems, Inc.
- © 2013 Inkling Systems, Inc, and The Cooking Lab
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.