Track how much you and your family use your phone and tablet each day, automatically
• See what apps you use the most too! Moment is the first and only app on the App Store to do this.
• Set daily limits on yourself and find a balance for the screens in your life.
• Monitor all of your family member’s screen time too.
- Look at your entire family’s day from the comfort of your own device.
• Start screen-free family dinner time, which means for the next 60 minutes, every time a person in your family picks up their phone or tablet, an annoying alert will go off and everyone will hear it. How embarrassing!
- You can decide how long each family dinner time will last.
- Everyone in your family can start family dinner time, including your children.
- Schedule it for the same time every day.
• Change a family member’s daily limit and force them to put down their phone when they’re over that limit.
• Tracks how much you use your phone or tablet automatically.
• Keeps track of what apps you use the most almost automatically (iPhone only).
• Trains you with the Coach to use your phone less, if that’s your goal.
• Logs how many times you pick up your phone each day.
• Force yourself off your device when you’re over your limit, and force your family members to do the same.
• Break down each day to see when you’re on your device and what apps you’re using.
• Tracks where you go each day, and have it plotted on a map.
• Invisible app. Once you set it up and as long as the app is running in the background, you never have to open it again.
• Choose from 6 relaxing reminder sounds and 6 intense sounds for your daily limit reminders.
• Quickly see how long you and your family have used your phone today.
- You’ll see a colorful icon for each one of your family members on your glance. Green means well under their daily limit, yellow means getting close, and red screams they went overboard.
• No, the app doesn’t track how long you spend looking at your watch.
Warning to parents: Moment is not strictly about parental control. Using Moment Family as a parent gives you certain powers, but your children have power too.
• If your daughter notices you on your phone while you’re supposed to be watching a family movie together, she can start family dinner time for the entire family until the movie is over. That means no one can pick up their phone, and you as the parent can’t turn that family dinner time off.
• Your entire family can see everyone else’s screen time for the day from the family scoreboard. You can see if your son is over his limit for the day, and he can see if you are over yours!
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life. Moment has been designed to use GPS sparingly.
Fixes a crash on iOS 11. Sorry about that!
Ratings and Reviews
Amazing App - Request a Feature?
I have absolutely loved this application and it has saved me so much time. I went from using my phone for roughly three hours a day down to less than an hour a day. Some days, I’ll even use my phone for less than 20 minutes. The iPhone Bootcamp in Premium is especially challenging, but very much worth it if you’re serious about cutting down your screen time. It took me a couple tries to finally complete it 100%.
I was wondering if a feature could be developed to turn off apps after a certain amount of time. Example: I use Instagram for business so I need to have it on my phone; however, after I have completed what I need to accomplish on the app, I tend to keep scrolling through it and waste a lot of time. I can’t delete it, because it is kind of a necessary evil for my photography side hustle. If I could set a 15 minute limit specifically for that app, that would be amazing. Ideally, Moment would close the app for me after that amount of time has passed and not let me in it for the rest of the day. Is that possible?
Even if the feature can’t be made, I wanted to thank you for this application. I’ve found myself to be more intentional toward people and the daily situations I’m in since I downloaded it and I can’t thank you enough for that.
This app is a great idea and I would love if it worked. This first week or so I used the app, it would track my usage well, but then it started to lose my trust. The amount of time I spent on my phone started to grow a ton even though I felt like I was using my phone the same amount. I checked the usage (or whatever it’s called) tab in the app and the numbers the time it said I was using it throughout the day didn’t add up. For instance I would do the math based on what it said my pickups and usage time was and it would come out to more than an hour under what the overall total was. In my mind, I was like this makes sense they’re trying to sell a product that makes you decrease your phone usage, or at least makes you feel like you are decreasing your phone usage, so it makes sense to inflate the numbers to then just show the actual numbers once people buy the premium product or whatever it’s called. Now, I didn’t wanna just leave it at that, I wanted to be thorough, so I tracked my phone usage myself and compared it to the app’s purported usage and my hypothesis was correct and the app inflated your usage. Its too bad the developers have chosen to inflate the numbers, I think this is a great idea with great potential to actually help people use their phones less and connect with people around them more, but it’s part of a business model and has to make a profit so I understand why they have made the choices they have.
Thanks for your feedback, Jojo. I'm glad Moment was working well for you at first and I thought I'd explain the rest of what you're seeing. Moment counts all of your screen time, whether you're actively tapping around inside an app or the phone is just sitting there untouched. If the screen is on, Moment is counting that as "screen time." That means things like using Maps while you're driving is constantly counted as screen time.
For most of Moment's customers, their screen time measurement and app usage measurement (from the screenshots) is within 95% of each other. There's a few factors, explained in the FAQ, as to why those numbers don't match up 100% some of the time.
In any case, Moment definitely does not inflate your screen time on purpose in order to sell the upgrade. That would be profoundly unethical and I do not take part in anything of the sort. There are situations where Moment will inaccurately calculate actual active screen time, like the Maps example I mentioned, but this is not done on purpose and I'm always working to prevent situations like this. I do a stopwatch test for each version of the app where I have a dedicated stopwatch I start/stop when I use my phone for 7 days to get a secondary measurement of screen time. Moment is always within seconds of being accurate when I release it.
I hope that helps explain things!
Creator of Moment
Great app, a few kinks to work out
This app works great and gives you lots of interesting information about your usage with insights, graphs, etc. But, there a few minor kinks that need to be fixed. If you use your phone past midnight, it’ll keep counting and add it to the day which is very annoying. So, for example, if you pick up your phone and starting using it at like 11:00 pm and then close your phone at 12:01 am, it’ll say you already have an hour and one minute for the day when you’ve only been using it for one minute past midnight. Once it becomes a new day, it should automatically stop counting for the previous day and starting counting for the next. This also applies to the sleep feature. If you don’t go to bed until after midnight like myself and probably a large portion of us, the app will automatically consider you asleep at midnight. So, if you go to bed at 2 am (which I unfortunately do a lot) and get up at 10 am, the app counts a total of 10 hours of sleep instead of 8. It should just starting counting your sleep when you put your phone down for the last time. Like I said, this app is great in all other respects, I would be super happy if they worked out these few things in an update!
- Moment Health Inc.
- 97 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © Luna Bird LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Moment Premium $3.99
- 3 Months of Moment Family $14.99
- 12 Months of Moment Family $44.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.