Monal allows you to connect to your chat server without having to give a third party access to your password or messages. Whether it is a personal Google talk account or a corporate chat server, it is important not to give someone access to sensitive information. This app has no ads, no user behavior tracking and all messages are exchanged directly with the XMPP chat server.
- Open Source
- No Ads! Strong focus on privacy. Does not phone home and does not have "metrics" software beyond anonymous crash reporting (crashlytics). Does not read any personal information.
- A direct client that does not transmit your password to a 3rd party.
- Reply from OS notification bubbles
- Will work with corporate XMPP servers that require VPN
- MUC multi user chat
- Tested heavily with Google Talk, Openfire, Prosody and eJabberd servers.
Implements XMPP certain extensions intended to improve performance.
- XEP-0280: Message Carbons keep messages in synch between clients.
- XEP-0198: Stream Management to quickly reconnect.
- XEP-0199: XMPP Ping to maintain connections.
- XEP-0313: Message Archive Management to download chat history.
- XEP-0352: Client State Indication for dramatic reduction on power use.
- XEP-0363: HTTP File Upload to send images in conversations.
Fixes crashes related to search and connectivity. Resolved issue where messages may not arrive after several reconnects
Ratings and Reviews
Nice to have an app, some features I miss from Adium
So far it works for Gtalk. I wish I could sort by active inactive, make groups and such. also menu item notifications would be nice=)
privacy and security!
I love the fact that it’s open source, and thus open to review for security and privacy concerns.
Cannot get it to work at all.
After 24 hours of every possible configuration to try to get it to connect to a legitimate XMPP server, it wouldn't connect to any of them. I can't recommend this product.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.