Monal allows you to connect to your chat server without having to give a third party access to your password or messages. Whether it is a personal Google talk account or a corporate chat server, it is important not to give someone access to sensitive information. This app has no ads, no user behavior tracking and all messages are exchanged directly with the XMPP chat server.
- No Ads! Strong focus on privacy. Does not phone home and does not have "metrics" software beyond anonymous crash reporting (crashlytics). Does not read any personal information.
- A direct client that does not transmit your password to a 3rd party.
- Standard XMPP Jingle VOIP. Allows voice conversation with any other user with a program that supports it (e.g. GTalk, pidgin, psi, etc.)
- Will work with corporate XMPP servers that require VPN
- MUC multi user chat
- Reply from notifications
- Tested heavily with Google Talk, Openfire, Prosody and eJabberd servers.
Implements XMPP certain extensions intended to improve mobile communication.
- XEP-0357: Push Notifications
- XEP-0280: Message Carbons keep messages in synch between clients.
- XEP-0198: Stream Management to quickly reconnect.
- XEP-0199: XMPP Ping to maintain connections.
- XEP-0313: Message Archive Management to download chat history.
- XEP-0352: Client State Indication for dramatic reduction on power use.
- XEP-0363: HTTP File Upload to send images in conversations.
Fixes crashes related to search and connectivity. Resolved issue where messages may not arrive after several reconnects
Version 3. This is the third major version release since 2008. There are major changes to the way the app works and looks. I hope that the changes that I have made are for the better. There will likely be some quick updates after this to address issues that are raised.
Fundamentally, the way Monal works has changed. It will now use push to receive messages if that is an option. This vastly improves message reliability. Your servers will need to have a push support enabled. Monal's server still does not receive your messages, it will only know to wake up your device when there is a new message. If push is not available, multi-tasking will be short. This addresses changes to iOS in recent versions.
- A new layout for the UI, trying to highlight elements that are used more
- iPhone X support
- Conversation synchronization
- Delivery Confirmation
- Improved Multi user chat
- Server capabilities viewer
- Side by side multi tasking on iPads
- View images in the Conversation
- Improvements to stability and reliability
Ratings and Reviews
ideal XMPP app
All the ingredients to make an excellent XMPP app are here. Responsive developer using a peer reviewable open source coding process and licensing. If I had a business, I'd hire this developer to integrate more with other productivity tools and add custom alert sounds.
Disconnects frequently, not reliable
Disconnects frequently, cannot have a two way conversation as some messages are lost.
Great XMPP Client
I use it with OpenFire and it works great!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.