Monal - Free XMPP chat
By Anurodh Pokharel
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Monal allows you to connect to your chat server without having to give a third party access to your password or messages. Whether it is a personal Google talk account or a corporate chat server, it is important not to give someone access to sensitive information. This app has no ads, no user behavior tracking and all messages are exchanged directly with the XMPP chat server.
- Free and No Ads! Strong focus on privacy. Does not phone home and does not have "metrics" software beyond anonymous crash reporting (crashlytics). Does not read any personal information.
- A direct client that does not transmit your password to a 3rd party.
- Standard XMPP Jingle VOIP. Allows voice conversation with any other user with a program that supports it (e.g. GTalk, pidgin, psi, etc.)
- Will work with corporate XMPP servers that require VPN
- MUC multi user chat
- Reply from notifications
- Tested heavily with Google Talk, Openfire, Prosody and eJabberd servers.
Implements XMPP certain extensions intended to improve mobile communication.
- XEP-0280: Message Carbons keep messages in synch between clients.
- XEP-0198: Stream Management to quickly reconnect.
- XEP-0199: XMPP Ping to maintain connections.
- XEP-0313: Message Archive Management to download chat history.
- XEP-0352: Client State Indication for dramatic reduction on power use.
- XEP-0363: HTTP File Upload to send images in conversations.
What's New in Version 2.9.3
- Fixes a constant disconnect issue in the last release. Peter let the bug slip by.
- Fired Peter.
I'm extremely grateful for this app & the developer's time. Thank you. I use it on my own instance of prosody & it works well. I've followed the encryption convo as well as other news & would happily pay for what the dev explicitly says as to not track or phone home. Redecentralize yourselves all.
Hopeful for current otr or future omemo encryption support in future releases please.
I would enjoy the feature of adding my nextcloud/owncloud instance to send a file w a unique link (maybe w password or time option) in lieu of Dropbox.
Great XMPP Client
I use it with OpenFire and it works great!
- Category: Social Networking
- Updated: Nov 14, 2016
- Version: 2.9.3
- Size: 5.0 MB
- Languages: English, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Anurodh Pokharel
- © Anurodh Pokharel
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.