Monal allows you to connect to your chat server without having to give a third party access to your password or messages. Whether it is a personal Google talk account or a corporate chat server, it is important not to give someone access to sensitive information. This app has no ads, no user behavior tracking and all messages are exchanged directly with the XMPP chat server.
- Open Source
- No Ads! Strong focus on privacy. Does not phone home and does not have "metrics" software beyond anonymous crash reporting (crashlytics). Does not read any personal information.
- A direct client that does not transmit your password to a 3rd party.
- Reply from OS notification bubbles
- Will work with corporate XMPP servers that require VPN
- MUC multi user chat
- OMEMO encrypted chat
- Tested heavily with Google Talk, Openfire, Prosody and eJabberd servers.
Implements XMPP certain extensions intended to improve performance.
- XEP-0280: Message Carbons keep messages in synch between clients.
- XEP-0198: Stream Management to quickly reconnect.
- XEP-0199: XMPP Ping to maintain connections.
- XEP-0313: Message Archive Management to download chat history.
- XEP-0352: Client State Indication for dramatic reduction on power use.
- XEP-0363: HTTP File Upload to send images in conversations.
This is a major update with the addition of OMEMO encrypted chat
Ratings and Reviews
Works generally, but won't stay connected
Just like the iOS version, the app disconnects from the server when backgrounded, and will not send notifications of new messages until I put it in the foreground again and it reconnects. It also shows contacts as offline even when they are online and I am chatting with them.
Also I don't see a way to search for text in the chat history.
With XMPP support gone from Messages, I'd love to see an update to this app's UI and function from this clearly skilled developer.
Does Not Stay Connnected - Bummer
Disconnects every few seconds, which makes using it impossible. Looks like there is potential for this much needed product on the Mac OS. I would gladly pay for a good jabber client.
Developer Response ,
I have updated the client to address some issues people have had. Could you let me know if this is still a problem?
Nice to have an app, some features I miss from Adium
So far it works for Gtalk. I wish I could sort by active inactive, make groups and such. also menu item notifications would be nice=)
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.