Monal allows you to connect to your chat server without having to give a third party access to your password or messages. Whether it is a personal Google talk account or a corporate chat server, it is important not to give someone access to sensitive information. This app has no ads, no user behavior tracking and all messages are exchanged directly with the XMPP chat server.
- No Ads! Strong focus on privacy. Does not phone home and does not have "metrics" software beyond anonymous crash reporting (crashlytics). Does not read any personal information.
- A direct client that does not transmit your password to a 3rd party.
- Standard XMPP Jingle VOIP. Allows voice conversation with any other user with a program that supports it (e.g. GTalk, pidgin, psi, etc.)
- OMEMO encrypted chat
- Will work with corporate XMPP servers that require VPN
- MUC multi user chat
- Reply from notifications
- Tested heavily with Google Talk, Openfire, Prosody and eJabberd servers.
Implements XMPP certain extensions intended to improve mobile communication.
- XEP-0357: Push Notifications
- XEP-0280: Message Carbons keep messages in synch between clients.
- XEP-0198: Stream Management to quickly reconnect.
- XEP-0199: XMPP Ping to maintain connections.
- XEP-0313: Message Archive Management to download chat history.
- XEP-0352: Client State Indication for dramatic reduction on power use.
- XEP-0363: HTTP File Upload to send images in conversations.
This is a major update with the addition of OMEMO encrypted chat and grouped notifications. There are also many bug fixes relating to push reliability and iPad support.
Ratings and Reviews
Connects to corporate Xmpp server okay, but I see two MAJOR issues that prevent me from using:
1. The list of online users is not correct. There are users who are online and available, but do not show in the list. Disconnecting and reconnecting does not help.
2. Connection drops after some time with no indication whatsoever. I’ll go back to app and all looks good with the list of users that appear online/away, but the connection has actually dropped and that list means nothing. Have to disconnect and reconnect to get back online.
Have not tested the actual ‘chat’ functionality due to the above rendering the app unusable to me.
If I can help by providing some kind of log file, please let me know how.
iOS is sorely lacking in reliable direct connect xmpp clients and this app shows the most promise.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the feedback. I have tried to address your issues in 3.1 that is currently out. Please let me know if it is still a problem
ideal XMPP app
All the ingredients to make an excellent XMPP app are here. Responsive developer using a peer reviewable open source coding process and licensing. If I had a business, I'd hire this developer to integrate more with other productivity tools and add custom alert sounds.
Disconnects frequently, not reliable
Disconnects frequently, cannot have a two way conversation as some messages are lost.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.