Money Pieces, by the Math Learning Center
By Clarity Innovations
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Money Pieces help students visualize and understand money values and relationships. Two versions of coins and bills are provided: virtual currency pieces that replicate the appearance and relative size of U.S. coins and the dollar bill, and area money pieces.
Area money pieces represent the values of coins and the dollar bill using an area model in which 1 square unit is equal to a penny. Nickels, dimes, quarters, and half dollars are represented by collections of squares equal to their value. In this way, the area pieces can be used to model and compute with fractions and decimals.
• Switch between currency and area money pieces.
• Illustrated shades can be used to pose problems with unknown quantities of money.
• Convert money to different bill or coin values. For example, two quarters can be exchanged for 1 half dollar, 10 nickels, 5 dimes, or 50 pennies.
• Rotate and duplicate selected items.
• Choose to show either side (heads or tails) of the currency or money pieces.
• Use the drawing tools to annotate work and show understanding.
• Write equations and expressions with the math text tool.
This resource is brought to you by The Math Learning Center, a nonprofit organization dedicated to K-12 education since 1976. Our mission is to inspire and enable individuals to discover and develop their mathematical confidence and ability.
This app was crafted by Clarity Innovations. We help improve teaching and learning by creating solutions that match promising technologies with the needs of education. Visit us: www.clarity-innovations.com
What's New in Version 1.1.3
New features added to the math text tool:
• When fractions are created using the text tool, they are automatically converted to the stacked fraction format.
• More symbols for writing equations and expressions.
Cool teaching tool
This app is so useful in our homeschool. I love being able to show how pennies "change into" nickels or dimes etc. The grid feature is cool too. This app is a teaching tool that can be used with any curriculum, for many different ages. Free, and no ads!
- Category: Education
- Updated: Jan 19, 2017
- Version: 1.1.3
- Size: 5.1 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Clarity Innovations, Inc.
- © 2017 The Math Learning Center
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.