By Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Moon Tours is the mobile version of the NASA's Lunar Mapping and Modeling Portal (LMMP). LMMP is the repository for over 600+ geospatial lunar data products and imagery focusing primarily on the 50 "sites of interest" that were selected as possible landing sites for future lunar missions. These data products include scientifically referenced digital elevation maps (DEMs), slope maps, rock and hazard maps, mineralogy maps, and imagery from the Apollo missions to the latest data from the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO). Whether you are a scientist, student, or just have an interest in our moon, Moon Tours will show you lunar topography as you have never seen it before. With Moon Tours, you will be able to:
* View the map by panning and zooming by using touch gestures.
* Overlay any of the 600+ layers into the current view and adjusting the transparency of any layer
* Determine the latitude and longitude of the current view as well as maintain context of the current view relative to the entire map
* Calculate the distance between two locations on the lunar surface
* Search for the names of features such as craters and hills
* Read an abstract about a particular data layer, or a longer document providing detailed information about the layer with citations and references to relevant scientific papers
* View lunar terrain data rendered in realtime 3D
* View a curated list of interesting sites on the lunar surface
Lots of good info
Whether you're an armchair astronomer or regularly explore the moon with your telescope, this app has a hi-res map, several 3D scenes, and an overwhelming number of charts from lunar missions.
My only complaint is that it isn't always intuitive, and not all features are named on the map, even when you add the "nomenclature" layer.
Why no names of craters?
Why no mineral distribution overlays?
Why no landing site overlay with historical info?
Why no 3D over flight view using DEMs that I'm sure you have - a la Google Earth?
- Category: Education
- Released: Sep 10, 2013
- Version: 1.0
- Size: 20.6 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- © 2013 California Institute of Technology
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.