Movie Explorer scans all your internal, external and network drives for digital movie files like MKV, M4V, AVI and MP4 and saves them in an attractive movie catalog for off line browsing and searching. The app can be used as a convenient starting point for playing your movie files by using the 'Play' and 'Play with' menu commands. The 'Gallery' feature let you enjoy posters, stills and photos of cinema movies, cast and crew members.
• Maps your digital cinema movie files automatically with movie metadata provided by The Movie Database (TMDb).
• Reads technical metadata of your files using the MediaInfo library of MediaArea.
• Shows details like the original title, plot summary, release date, rating but also information about the cast, crew and studio.
• Displays technical details like encoding format, bit rate, video format, resolution, bit depth and audio specifications.
• Shows movie posters, cast photos, crew photos and studio logos of your cinema movie files.
• Shows your movies as resizable thumbnails, grouped by cast members, crew members or studios, or just as files.
• Support for TV Shows and more, as part of the 'TV Shows Add-on' In-app purchase.
• All data is saved locally in a database which makes your digital movie collections very easily searchable.
• You can search on movie title, cast name, crew name (including the movie director), studio name or filename.
• The 'Get Info' context menu gives you all details of your movies, the cast and crew in a fully internally linked fashion.
• The 'Open Gallery' context menu let you browse through posters, photos and artwork of movies, cast and crew.
• The customizable sidebar enables you to filter your collection on criteria like file location, genres, countries and rating.
• Handy additional filters for Recently added, Stereoscopic, HD Video, HD Audio and Duplicate files.
• You can map manually files to movies to correct missing or incorrect movie metadata.
• Each movie file can be opened with the associated app by double clicking.
• By using the 'Play with' context menu, you can choose manually an app for playing a selected movie.
• Each movie, cast member or crew member can be investigated in more detail in IMDb, utilizing the built-in link feature.
• Let you open homepages of movies, cast and crew members.
• Export movie data on file location level to a CSV file.
• Supports the new MacBook Pro's Touch Bar.
• Support for Mojave Dark Mode.
The app offers an in-app purchase, which adds the following features to the app:
• Support for TV shows, including a dedicated TV Shows view.
• Episodes, seasons, shows and movies can be marked as 'Watched' or 'Unwatched'.
• With the Filter popover menu you can filter on 'Unwatched', 'Watchlist', 'Paused' and 'Watched', together with the existing filters and search function.
• Show the number of unwatched files in the sidebar for all filters.
• Add movies and episodes to the Watchlist.
• Sync Watched, Paused and Watchlist status with Trakt.tv
• Automatic update of the Watchlist when you set an episode to Read.
If you need support with this movie catalog app, please visit the support page, mail to email@example.com or twitter to @elemanssoftware to get in contact with the developer.
If you like Movie Explorer, please take a moment to rate or review it in the App Store. We really appreciate it and it helps us a lot!
We are eager to make Movie Explorer the best movie file indexer on the market. This is only possible with your feedback. Please send your comments, ideas, tips, suggestions, complains or compliments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Fixes an import error in Mojave, causing the cast members to be wrongly sorted.
Includes the changes from version 1.8.5:
• Full support for Mojave Dark Mode.
• Compatibility fixes with Mojave.
• Improved support for media files with Cyrillic characters.
Ratings and Reviews
Does exactly what the avid movie watcher with internet and a VPN would want from an organizer app. I wish I used this years ago. I would have ended up watch a lot more films rather than leaving them unwatched after forgetting what they are and why I downloaded in the first place.
Stellar app. One of my top finds this year. I purchased the TV upgrade because price was more than fair for this exceptional app which is free if you don’t want the TV functionality.
As you can probably tell I’m very happy !!
Amazing for what it does, but that is very limited
This app is amazing at its ability to scan a folder of files and pull fairly correct data from the internet for those files. However, it doesn’t allow you to make your own folders, tags, or edit any data in-app (you have to edit the online database it pulls data from). Nor will it organize your files for you. But what it does it does fast and the interface is nice and clean.
I Wish I found this app first.
I wasted a lot of time on other apps that were clumsy, buggy and hard to understand. This app is a dream come true! On my first day I managed to load about 900 movies and TV shows. Much joy here!
Update: I’ve had Movie Explorerfor a while now and all I can say is: Most Excellent!
I’ve managed to quite easily catalog my movie and TV collection of almost 24 Terrabytes into Movie Explorer and it runs just as slick and as fast as when I had only a few hundred movies entered. I’m planning on adding another 8 Terrabyte disk this month and I’m confident Movie Explorer will handle it no problem.
Note to Developer: Is there any chance you could create a companion program called: Music Explorer? That would bring much joy.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.