Movie Explorer scans all your internal, external and network drives for digital movie files like MKV, M4V, AVI and MP4 and saves them in an attractive movie catalog for off line browsing, searching, tracking, sharing and more.
Get started quickly
• Add movie files by indexing your local drives and network shares
• Movie Explorer matches your digital cinema movie files automatically with movie titles using metadata provided by TMDb
Find and play what you like
• Find movies using the search box, or one of the many sidebar filters
• Search for an actor or director and find all other movies you own with this actor or director
• Play movies using the default media player
• Or use any other media player, using the ‘Play with’ feature
Explore for more
• The special Info view shows you all movie metadata, actors and more in a separate window
• Enjoy original poster art work and high res movie stills using the Gallery view feature
• Open directly the related IMDb page for a movie, show, actor or crew member
• Files view shows you important details like video format, bit rate, audio channels and more
Upgrade to Movie Explorer Pro, with a PRO subscription
• Add Blu-ray, 4K Ultra HD and DVD discs by scanning their barcodes, using the built-in FaceTime camera
• Or simply add your discs by using an external USB barcode scanner
• Catalog your TV show files and discs, and manage them using the special TV Shows view
• We offer monthly and yearly Movie Explorer PRO subscriptions
• You can try Movie Explorer Pro by using the free 14-Day Trial
• The trial is fully functional and ends automatically
Track what you’re watching [PRO upgrade]
• Mark movies and episodes as watched, or unwatched
• Use global filters to show only unwatched, watched or Watchlist items
• Rate and review movies and episodes, and filter on your own ratings
• Add movies and episodes to the Watchlist for easy access
• Automatic update of the Watchlist when you set an episode to Watched
• Sync Watched, Paused and Watchlist status with Trakt.tv
Define your own filters and lists [PRO upgrade]
• Add your own custom filters to the sidebar, using Queries
• With a Query, you can interactively define your own selection, using multiple criteria
• Use Lists to make your own collections of movies, shows, actors, directors and more
• Queries and Lists can be separately exported to PDF, HTML and CSV
Share your collection [PRO upgrade]
• Export your complete collection, or a selection, to beautifully designed PDF or HTML files
• Or export your technical collection data to a CSV file, compatible with Excel and Numbers
• Share individual movies to Mail, Messages, Notes and any other supported standard share option
• Lend Blu-rays and DVD to friends, and keep track of what you've lent out, and to whom
State of the art
• 100% native macOS app using standard interaction controls
• Touch Bar support for all major views
• Full Dark Mode and Accent color support in macOS 10.14
• Keyboard friendly navigation and interaction
About PRO upgrade subscriptions
We offer monthly and annual subscriptions. Subscriptions will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase. Your subscription will automatically renew after unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current subscription period. After purchase, manage your subscriptions in App Store Account Settings. After cancelling a subscription, the app will continue as standard version with standard data when the current subscription period ends.
Support and feedback
If you need support with this app, please visit the online documentation and support pages, or mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to get in contact with the developer. Please send your comments, ideas, tips, suggestions, complains or compliments to email@example.com. Thank you!
• Added instructions for restoring file access info after restoring a backup
• Fixed duplicate genres bug when using ‘Update localized data’ function
Ratings and Reviews
Does exactly what the avid movie watcher with internet and a VPN would want from an organizer app. I wish I used this years ago. I would have ended up watch a lot more films rather than leaving them unwatched after forgetting what they are and why I downloaded in the first place.
Stellar app. One of my top finds this year. I purchased the TV upgrade because price was more than fair for this exceptional app which is free if you don’t want the TV functionality.
As you can probably tell I’m very happy !!
Amazing for what it does, but that is very limited
This app is amazing at its ability to scan a folder of files and pull fairly correct data from the internet for those files. However, it doesn’t allow you to make your own folders, tags, or edit any data in-app (you have to edit the online database it pulls data from). Nor will it organize your files for you. But what it does it does fast and the interface is nice and clean.
99% what I've been looking for
I've been using Movie Explorer for about two years now. I love it so much that I'm writing a review and I never write reviews for apps. I have over 5000 movies and 2000 TV episodes saved to hard drives. Movie Explorer catalogs them extremely well. The only negative is that it is very difficult (and sometimes impossible) to catalog anything not listed in the OMDB. But that flaw is really a flaw of OMDB and Movie Explorer's relianceon OMDB for metadata.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.