MultiMarkdown Composer 2
By MultiMarkdown Software, LLC
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
## The Best MultiMarkdown Editor Just Got Better! ##
MultiMarkdown Composer is a text editor that is designed from the ground up around the MultiMarkdown Syntax. It is designed to make writing in MultiMarkdown even easier than it already is, with automatic syntax highlighting, built in previews, easy export to any format that is supported by MultiMarkdown, and more!
By using an editor built around Markdown and MultiMarkdown, you can focus on the actual *writing*, rather than worrying about formatting and styles. Let the computer deal with that when you're ready to export your document to another format.
## Learn More ##
If you are unfamiliar with Markdown or MultiMarkdown, or just want to learn more about MultiMarkdown Composer and what it can do, please visit http://fletcherpenney.net/multimarkdown/ before purchasing this application. We want you to be sure that you will be happy with your purchase!
You can also visit http://multimarkdown.com/ to learn more about the application, see screenshots, and even video previews and demonstrations.
## New Features for Version 2 ##
Version 2 is a complete rewrite of MultiMarkdown Composer and includes the following:
* Performance improvements
* Live HTML preview
* "Synchronized Scrolling" --- you can scroll the editing pane or the preview pane, and both sides will line up properly, even in fairly complex documents!
* Improved Style Themes and ability to customize look and feel
* Table of Contents can be used to rearrange your document with drag and drop
* Built in help and MultiMarkdown "cheat sheet"
* Ability to show invisible characters
* Support for CriticMarkup(http://criticmarkup.com/) for comparing documents or collaborating with others
## Key Features ##
* MultiMarkdown syntax highlighting
* Customizable themes - choose from built in themes, including solarized, or design your own
* Instant preview of rendered HTML
* Easily copy HTML, RTF, or LaTeX output to the clipboard with one keystroke to paste into other applications
* Support for using Marked to preview your document if it's installed
* Automatic table of contents drawer for easy navigation
* HUD panels to display document statistics, defined reference labels, etc.
* Instant export to HTML, OPML, LaTeX, Flat OpenDocument format, Word(with limitations), RTF, and basic ePub export
* Support for custom commands when exporting HTML
* Multiple keyboard shortcuts to minimize the need to use the mouse
* Easily print your text file without struggling with arcane settings to make it fit properly on the page
* Easily switch between MultiMarkdown and the original Markdown syntax for both highlighting and HTML preview/export
* "Typewriter" scrolling mode
* ODB Editor Protocol support -- works in OS 10.8+ only
## Assisted Editing - features to automate entering MMD syntax ##
* automatic list formatting
* "smart pairs" --- close parentheses, brackets, quotes, etc.
* support for "elastic tabstops" so your document is properly aligned
* single keystroke indent and outdent of lines
* automatic link creation
We can't reply to comments, suggestions, or bug reports in these reviews - please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or http://support.multimarkdown.com so that we may respond to your questions and assist with any problems you may have. We have noticed that several of the very few negative comments are actually related to user error --- we'd love to help you fix your issues, but can't if you don't contact us. Thank you!
What's New in Version 2.6.9
* Fix potential bug when handling beamer latexmode metadata
* Improve file encoding detection algorithm to better match UTF-16
* Fix issue on 10.9.2 when opening saved document instead of creating a new one
* When exporting documents, default to last export type instead of MultiMarkdown Text FIle. I can't promise this always works, but it seems to work in my testing with saved documents.
* Improved table auto completion
* Allow customization of marker used when converting to unordered lists
* Change default preview refresh delay to 400 msec (some users aren't interested in adjusting preferences and complain when it's too fast)
* Fix preview when indenting lists by 5 spaces, rather than 4
* use updated preview when exporting PDF
* Transparent document window. Doesn't work perfectly.
A good product, but ultimately disappointing
For the most part this application works as advertised. It comes with multiple style sheets by default for colorful and easy previews. It is fast and responsive in most instances and I haven’t had it crash once. Ultimately I would say this is well written and probably does the job for other people and their markdown needs. Those good things aside I can’t help but feel I’ve wasted my money.
As a new user to multimarkdown, I came looking for an easy way to write LaTeX style mathematical equations with better formatting options and table support than I had found elsewhere. I like the table support and the improved superscript/subscript syntax. However the math parsing support is spotty at best and requires an active internet connection to format properly. Since that was my main goal in ponying up the $12 for this product, I am annoyed that it doesn’t work better.
Possibly this is an issue with myself and asking this product to do something it wasn’t optimized for. That’s why I’ve given it a 3 star rating rather than the 2 star rating I originally intended. Your Milage May Vary depending on your use case. I will probably return to LaTeX style formatters and give up working in *markdown all together.
Easy to use, and iCloud integration is very helpful
I took some advice a while back and starting writing my blog posts using MarkDown, and found myself using this software. It really is simple to use - assuming you know the Markdown syntax - and pretty reliable. In particular, I write across multiple devices, so having iCloud capabilities for my documents is invaluable - I can start wrting on one MacBook, then go home and continue on another. The ability to select then copy your text in different formats is great; I tend to copy as HTML so I can paste it directly into the text editor for Wordpress.
I don’t find the provided stylesheets tremendously useful, but I can see why other people might. I keep meaning to update it so that it mirors my website, so that the previews might be a little more accurate. I’d also like to see a better local (not online) reference for keyboard shortcuts in this application; they can be surprisingly difficult to find at times!
Anyway, minor gripes aside, this is my primary editor for structured text, and I use it daily to take notes and to write blog posts. Great app.
Keeps getting better
There are still many areas to polish in Multimarkdown Composer. However, at this point it is a solid enough product that I regularly use to compose short and long documents, including research papers. It is a delight to use, and the addition of CriticMarkup functionality is a tremendous bonus. The progress so far instills confidence on the future of this great and well-focused editor. Highly recommended for demanding Markdown users.