# All New Version of MultiMarkdown Composer Is Here!
MultiMarkdown Composer was the first text editor specifically designed for writing in MultiMarkdown (or regular Markdown), and now there is a completely new version with improved performance and features.
By using an editor built around Markdown/MultiMarkdown, you can focus on the *writing*, rather than worrying about formatting and styles. Composer's intelligent tools provide automatic support while you write -- organize your document with the Table of Contents, quickly insert links, images, etc. with the References sidebar, and quickly review CriticMarkup edits.
Composer 4 represents a complete rewrite. The syntax highlighting engine is faster and more accurate. The preview is faster and includes multiple other improvements. The MultiMarkdown engine has been upgraded to MMD v 6 in order to include the latest features, faster performance, and increased accuracy. The theme configuration files use a new JSON format that is easier to use. The assistants (TOC, References, CriticMarkup, and Info) have been rebuilt as sidebars in the document window in order to increase flexibility.
In short, virtually every piece of Composer has been rewritten to make it better!
## Learn More
If you are unfamiliar with Markdown or MultiMarkdown, please visit http://fletcherpenney.net/multimarkdown/ before purchasing this application. We want you to be sure that you will be happy with your purchase!
You can also visit http://multimarkdown.com/ to learn more about MultiMarkdown Composer, see screenshots, and even video previews and demonstrations. The support site offers you a chance to have your questions answered.
## Free Features
* Read and write files
* Intelligent editing support -- "smart pairs", automatic formatting of Markdown block structures (lists, blockquotes, tables), easily create links and images, and much more
* Live HTML preview
* Supports MultiMarkdown v6 (including regular Markdown compatibility mode)
* CriticMarkup support, including live change tracking and including your edits in the preview
* Automatically cleans up Markdown formatting to quickly fix problems when copying text from other sources
* Typewriter Mode to keep the cursor in the center of the screen
* Auto Zoom to make the most use of the window, regardless of what size you make it
* Sync MultiMarkdown metadata tags with macOS file tags automatically
* File comparison -- compare two files and convert the differences into CriticMarkup to easily handle file revisions shared from other users
## Standard Upgrade
* Open multiple documents at once
* Custom themes for syntax highlighting
* Custom CSS for preview/documents
* Print source text
* Print HTML preview (including print to PDF)
* Export to HTML, EPUB 3, OpenDocument, LaTeX, and TextPack
* Sidebar assistants -- Table of Contents, References list, CriticMarkup changes
* Drag and drop in the Table of Contents sidebar to quickly rearrange your document
## Pro Upgrade
* Automatic text expansion -- expand shortcuts for commonly used text blocks
* Custom keyboard commands and macros -- customize Composer to suit your needs!
* Share extras files (themes, CSS, expansions) between multiple machines so you have a consistent environment on each
* History undo mode -- increased flexibility in undo/redo of changes while working on a document
* Control over undo coalescing -- you control whether undo works by the character, sentence, or paragraph
* Control depth of the table of contents sidebar for easier navigation
* More features planned for the future -- stay tuned for updates
## Need More Help?
If you have questions, suggestions, feature requests, or bug reports then please contact us at email@example.com or http://support.multimarkdown.com/ so that we may respond to your questions and assist with any issues.
And, as always, thank you for your support over the years!
Bug fix release:
* Fix crash that occur when macOS auto save is enabled, the user closes a document with unsaved changes, and chooses to Revert to the last saved version of the file (Thanks, Bernardo!!)
* Fix potential crash when closing a Project Window/Folder Window, and then editing a file within that same folder
Ratings and Reviews
Best for Multimarkdown
It is not yet the 'perfect' markdown editor, but it is going in the right direction and as close as they come. I can say that having tried almost every other such program on the market.
In terms of room for improvement, the template system for both the editor experience and the HTML presentaton should be primarily CSS instead of the anomalous, one-off JSON format that makes customization unnecessarily difficult, but other than that and some rough patches during previous development, I am faithful to this great editor. To address some of those shortcomings I recommending pairing this with another app called "Marked". The two together are critical to the way I craft and leverage markdown. The result is that I truly enjoy writing and especially the almost instant capacity to turn plain text into a beautiful PDF, HTML or any of a number of other formats.
I don't often write reviews, but given how much I have benefitted from this program I felt compelled to give it a shout, and endorse it wholeheartedly.
Essential writing tool for scientists and others
I am a radiology professor and write research papers as part of my living. I also write a lot of non-medical text as part of my hobbies (folk music, folk dance, fiddle music, etc) and activities on various non-profit boards).
Virtually all of my writing for all of my projects starts out in Markdown, which means Multimarkdown Composer most of the time. The instant preview of my work is essential. The ability to mix images, tables, equations and references is also essential to me.
I am a bit of an alpha geek, so there are times when MMC doesn’t do what I need. When I need to do a lot of custom formatting, I use BBEdit with grep. When I need to mix my text with statistical analyses and graphics, I write in RStudio with RMarkdown. When my work requires scientific computations in SciPy or NumPy, I turn write in Markdown in a Project Jupyter notebook.
However, the bulk of my writing is handled quite nicely by MMC. Once my main writing is done in MMC, MMC does an awesome job of exporting my work to HTML, LaTeX, Scivener or (ack, ptui) Word as needed. I also appreciate the efforts Dr. Penney has made to have MMC work with Critic Markdown and Marked2.
MMC is the premier Markdown tool I recommend to friends and colleagues who ask for my advice on writing tools.
Go-to editor that just gets better!
I’ve used MultiMarkdown Composer for going on 6 years and it has become my primary writing tool for ALL uses - documents, client call notes, planning. The ability to create documents in MultiMarkDown and see the rendered HTML output in real time is powerful and efficient. I can copy as HTML and paste into our corporate collaboration tool as HTML and retain all of the formatting, saving me significant time and ensuring my content is communicated in the way I want. On the rare occasions I’ve had questions or (largely perceived) issues, the developer has always been timely and knowledgable in responding. Great tool, great team.
- MultiMarkdown Software, LLC
- 5.7 MB
OS X 10.11 or later, 64-bit processor
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- Copyright © 2016-2017 MultiMarkdown Software, LLC. All rights reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.