MultitrackStudio for iPad is an audio/MIDI multitrack recording app. It comes with many high quality audio effects including a guitar amp simulator.
Both audio and MIDI tracks can be edited. MIDI editing features include pianoroll, drum and score editors.
The straightforward user-interface has been designed with tape-based recording in mind. It's easy to use yet powerful.
• Up to 16 audio/MIDI tracks, audio tracks can be mono or stereo.
• Editors: audio, pianoroll, drum, score, MIDI patterns, MIDI controllers, timesig/tempo and song.
• One effect return section.
• One master section.
• Three effect slots per mixer section (two for MIDI tracks).
• Effects: Automated Fader, Chorus, Compressor, DeEsser, Echo, EQ, Flanger, Guitar Amp, Master Limiter, Noise Gate, Phaser, Reverb, Rotor, Saturator, Stereo Imager, Tremolo, Tuner and Vibrato.
• MIDI instruments: MultitrackStudio Instruments (General MIDI compatible), SoundFont Player, Matrix Sampler, up to four Virtual MIDI Apps and one CoreMIDI output device.
• Supports Audio Unit effects and instruments and MIDI effects (the latter require iOS 12).
• Supports Inter-App Audio effects and instruments.
• Supports Audiobus (acts as output in Audiobus app).
• MIDI sources: onscreen keyboard (keyboard, chords, drum, matrix and various string layouts) and one CoreMIDI input device. Supports Bluetooth LE MIDI.
• Audio sample rate: 44.1 or 48 kHz.
• Imports .wav, .aif, .mp3, .mid and various other audio file types.
• Exports .wav and .mid files.
• Import/export audio/MIDI via AudioShare, General Pasteboard, Document Picker, iTunes File Sharing or email.
• Imports/exports .zip file containing all files needed to open song, compatible with MultitrackStudio for Windows/OS X.
The Pro Extension (available as in-app purchase) adds these features:
• Up to 32 tracks.
• Either an extra Effect Return or up to 8 Groups.
• Two extra Effect Returns on 12.9 inch iPads.
• Multichannel audio playback.
• Mixer and effect automation.
• Audio pitch shifting in track editors.
• Time stretching in track editors.
• Tempo editor can process audio tracks.
• Stretch and Stretch Accelerando in tempo editor.
• Multi MIDI Editor (edit multiple tracks in a single editor)..
• Create new song using current as template.
• Convolutor effect with Vintage Reverbs.
• Load custom speaker IR in Guitar Amp.
• Dynamics effect, supports sidechaining.
• Multiband Compressor effect.
• Phase Inverter effect.
• Transposer effect.
• Vocal Tuner effect.
Note: MultitrackStudio for iPad does NOT support Bluetooth audio devices.
iPad 2, iPad 3 and first gen. iPad mini do not support Audio Units.
• The editor grid can now show triplets (or any tuplet), or have swing.
• The onscreen MIDI keyboard now allows for loading an AU MIDI effect so 3rd party keyboards can be used instead.
• The onscreen MIDI keyboard is now resizable.
• AU MIDI effects that require an (unused) audio input connection are now supported.
• AU MIDI effects: timing accuracy improved.
• Fixed: quantization triplet options had wrong names (triplets of 1/4 instead of triplets of 1/8 etc.)
Ratings and Reviews
Feature Rich, Solid, For Pros, The Best on iOS
You won’t be able to match this app feature for feature with anything else in iOS. Learn the interface and you will be addicted.
This is a secret jewel. Get the pro extension and you will never look back. This app has possibly the best punch-in features available. Internal sampling is a breeze. Time stretch, multiple time signatures and tempos, convolution reverb, guitar amp, fully IAA, AU, and AUv3 compatible. MIDI routing, internal keyboard, chord pads, guitar fretboard, and more.
Smooth real-time scrubbing with midi and audio!
Time signature and tempo mapping.
A song editor that easily operates across all tracks. A midi editing interface that offers access TO ALL MIDI TRACKS AT ONCE.
It even features notation!
Look at the size of the app. A fraction of the size of other DAWS with twice the feature set. It must be written in magic.
If you do more than cut up pieces of other people’s music and glue them together you will certainly benefit from this app. Kudos Geil Bremmers!
Another update for the top of the class
The very brilliance of this app explains the poor reviews: it's idiosyncratic, and there's a learning curve. The developer is incredibly responsive, and a relentless updater, and his application does more with midi and audio editors (and more elegantly) than any other iOS DAW.
Great for a performing MidI musician
I have a one person stage show with two keyboards, a drum machine sampler and a rack full of synths. I perform live with MIDI tracks I create, and don't have the luxury of a roadie or sound tech to help with things like the light show and video show and all. After I create a song, I play the exported MIDI files on stage using another popular "player" app. That said, I have to say that I am super excited to have this app which writes bank select, program changes, volume, pan and all the other CC messages to the exported MIDI file. I have looked at all the iPad DAWs and this is the only one that can do this. Being a one person show, it is critical that at the beginning of each song the MIDI file sets up all my synths- I don't have time to manually fiddle with controller knobs and sliders or even remember their settings. Desktop software and hardware sequencers have long been able to write this data into the file output, but if you, like me, are wanting to work primarily with the iPad then this is it. Support from the developer is good and prompt. I would say this app is worth the price and I am glad to have purchased.
- Giel Bremmers
- 45.1 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2001-2019 Bremmers Audio Design
- In-App Purchases
- Pro Extension $19.99
- Track Pack $9.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.