MultitrackStudio for iPad is an audio/MIDI multitrack recording app. It comes with many high quality audio effects including a guitar amp simulator.
Both audio and MIDI tracks can be edited. MIDI editing features include pianoroll, drum and score editors.
The straightforward user-interface has been designed with tape-based recording in mind. It's easy to use yet powerful.
• Up to 16 audio/MIDI tracks, audio tracks can be mono or stereo.
• Editors: audio, pianoroll, drum, score, MIDI patterns, MIDI controllers, timesig/tempo and song.
• One effect return section.
• One master section.
• Three effect slots per mixer section (two for MIDI tracks).
• Effects: Automated Fader, Chorus, Compressor, DeEsser, Echo, EQ, Flanger, Guitar Amp, Master Limiter, Noise Gate, Phaser, Reverb, Rotor, Saturator, Stereo Imager, Tremolo, Tuner and Vibrato.
• MIDI instruments: MultitrackStudio Instruments (General MIDI compatible), SoundFont Player, Matrix Sampler, up to four Virtual MIDI Apps and one CoreMIDI output device.
• Supports Audio Unit effects and instruments (iOS 9).
• Supports Inter-App Audio effects and instruments.
• Supports Audiobus (acts as output in Audiobus app).
• MIDI sources: onscreen keyboard (keyboard, chords, drum, matrix and various string layouts) and one CoreMIDI input device. Supports Bluetooth LE MIDI.
• Audio sample rate: 44.1 or 48 kHz.
• Imports .wav, .aif, .mp3, .mid and various other audio file types.
• Exports .wav and .mid files.
• Import/export audio/MIDI via AudioShare, General Pasteboard, Document Picker, iTunes File Sharing or email.
• Imports/exports .zip file containing all files needed to open song, compatible with MultitrackStudio for Windows/OS X.
The Pro Extension (available as in-app purchase) adds these features:
• Up to 32 tracks.
• Either an extra Effect Return or up to 8 Groups.
• Two extra Effect Returns on 12.9 inch iPads.
• Multichannel audio playback.
• Mixer and effect automation.
• Audio pitch shifting in track editors.
• Time stretching in track editors.
• Tempo editor can process audio tracks.
• Stretch and Stretch Accelerando in tempo editor.
• Multi MIDI Editor (edit multiple tracks in a single editor)..
• Create new song using current as template.
• Convolutor effect with Vintage Reverbs.
• Load custom speaker IR in Guitar Amp.
• Dynamics effect, supports sidechaining.
• Multiband Compressor effect.
• Phase Inverter effect.
• Transposer effect.
• Vocal Tuner effect.
Note: MultitrackStudio for iPad does NOT support Bluetooth audio devices.
iPad 2, iPad 3 and first gen. iPad mini do not support Audio Units.
• Editors distinguish better between finger move and finger press. This reduces the risk of performing edits inadvertently.
• Editors show stretch percentage value while stretching a part.
• Fixed: editor zooming didn't always work the first time you tried.
Ratings and Reviews
Another update for the top of the class
The very brilliance of this app explains the poor reviews: it's idiosyncratic, and there's a learning curve. The developer is incredibly responsive, and a relentless updater, and his application does more with midi and audio editors (and more elegantly) than any other iOS DAW.
Great for a performing MidI musician
I have a one person stage show with two keyboards, a drum machine sampler and a rack full of synths. I perform live with MIDI tracks I create, and don't have the luxury of a roadie or sound tech to help with things like the light show and video show and all. After I create a song, I play the exported MIDI files on stage using another popular "player" app. That said, I have to say that I am super excited to have this app which writes bank select, program changes, volume, pan and all the other CC messages to the exported MIDI file. I have looked at all the iPad DAWs and this is the only one that can do this. Being a one person show, it is critical that at the beginning of each song the MIDI file sets up all my synths- I don't have time to manually fiddle with controller knobs and sliders or even remember their settings. Desktop software and hardware sequencers have long been able to write this data into the file output, but if you, like me, are wanting to work primarily with the iPad then this is it. Support from the developer is good and prompt. I would say this app is worth the price and I am glad to have purchased.
I just got MTS a few days ago and have been comparing it to Cubasis, GarageBand and etc. I have to say that I like MTS more than any other iOS MIDI sequencer and feel that I have finally found an iOS sequencer that does everything I need in the most straightforward way. MTS lets me record MIDI with poly aftertouch from my USB keyboard and apply it to other iPad synth apps.
Because of its versatility and ease of use, I've become very comfortable with it in a short period of time. Once you figure out the "hidden" features it's quick and easy to get around.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.