By Mikkel Krautz
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Mumble - High quality, low latency voice chat
Mumble is a free group voice chat application. It allows you to talk to your friends on the go, and has finally arrived on the iOS platform. Simply find a public server and join it to chat with your friends!
Mumble requires a connection to a server to function. Servers can be rented from commercial hosting companies. The Mumble server software is also available free-of-charge under and open source license, so individuals are free to create their own servers, without limitations. See http://www.mumbleapp.com for more information regarding Mumble servers.
Mumble provides the following features:
• High quality, low latency voice chats via WiFi or 3G using state of the art codecs
• Access to thousands of public servers -- free for you to use when chatting with friends
• Ability to chat with hundreds of thousands of regular users of Mumble around the world
• An easily accessible list of all of your favorite servers
• Connect to and list available Mumble servers on the local network
• SSL/TLS encryption of connections to remote servers; voice data encrypted using OCB-AES
• Strong and flexible authentication with remote servers using either passwords or X.509 certificates
• Advanced audio configuration, allowing users to configure the quality and bandwidth
requirements of their transmitted audio (perfect for 3G connections with slow upload)
• Push-to-Talk and Voice Activated audio transmission modes (for hands-free operation)
• Flexible user-to-user and user-to-channel text messaging system for sharing links or images while talking
• Basic user functionality on Mumble servers (server administration not possible)
• Push-to-talk transmission mode.
• Echo cancellation for the built-in microphone.
• Bluetooth headset support.
Mumble is open source software, developed collaboratively on the Internet. Mumble and its server software are available for free, for anyone to use. For more information about Mumble, please visit our website at http://www.mumbleapp.com.
What's New in Version 1.3.0
• Updated the app's look and feel for iOS 7.
• Fixed errors that caused Mumble 1.2.3 to behave weirdly on iOS 7.1.
Great App - Needs More
This app has worked flawlessly for me on iPhone 6 but I would like to see more functionality. As of now it is basic connect and talk without the ability to do any administrative tasks. I would like the ability to move others, mute others, register users, and manage groups and channels. Also i would like to see the ability to retreive a saved certificate from cloud storage (ie: Dropbox, One Drive, Google Drive ect.) as the upload from itunes has been confusing for some of my users. The app has not crashed and doesnt seem to drain battery too badly. Adressing one reviewers comments about no PTT you have to change this in the settings area where you also can upload certs. PTT is possible but it must be toggled.
Just a few minor fixes needed
I have used vent in the past,and decided to try this app to see if there was anything better. So far this app has worked seamlessly. I would however, like to suggest the ability to create password locked rooms, so only those within the server with the password may be able to access that particular sub-room. This would, in my opinion greatly advance this app past the competition. Please make this a possibility soon!
Great Quality, Few Minor Requests
The Mumble app is wonderful. I have yet to have it crash while using it on it's own, and it will rarely crash while I'm multitasking (the latter of which is most likely due to the iPhone itself.) Interface is simple, as well. However, there are three main features that would add a lot to the app.
• Ability to send pictures from gallery through the app, as you can with the computer version.
• Ability to local mute other people in the Mumble channel.
• Having the user list set alphabetically instead of by most recently connected users. This provides an easier way to look up users in the chat.
All aside, thank you for making a fantastic, functioning app!