Developed by 3D4Medical in collaboration with Stanford University School of Medicine.
As featured in the WWDC 2012 Keynote Speech.
This is a major upgrade and contains 215 movement animations, 425 audio pronunciations, 548 isolated muscle images and 548 muscle Insertion and Origin map images.
For a 2 minute overview of how this app works - please visit: http://applications.3d4medical.com/muscle_pro.php
This app is by far the the most comprehensive musculoskeletal system on the market.
• 360 horizontal degree rotation of any body part - all easily controlled with your mouse.
• Rotate vertically for inferior and superior views (where applicable) - with the swipe of your mouse.
• 10 layers of superficial and deep muscle.
• New 3D level with insertion / origin points mapped onto bone.
• 548 images of every muscles' insertion and origin points mapped onto the bone
• 215 animations of every movement of each articulation (e.g. flexion, extension, abduction, adduction, etc)
• 2 types of Quiz, Drag and Drop and Multi-choice.
• 425 audio pronunciations, for every label.
• Draw on any screen image and then share it through email, Facebook or Twitter.
OTHER NEW FEATURES:
• Full Screen Mode: One click and the app fills the screen.
• Interface: Completely rebuilt to allow for simple navigation.
• Graphical Hints: On screen hints that can be turned on or off, for a complete understanding of all the app's features.
• Mix layers: Make one layer semitransparent to compare against another layer.
• Public Notes: Post or browse through shared public notes.
• Double-click to zoom: Zoom in to and identify any region or muscle by clicking on the screen.
• Super Zoom and Pan: When zoomed in to an area, you can double-click again for a super zoom. To move the image, just press and hold your right-click button.
• Customize Pins: Add your own pins and notes or add notes to existing pins.
• Jump to a different area of the body: Jump to a different body area by clicking its area or dragging the white box on the full body thumbnail.
• Customize the app: Using the settings function the user can choose which pins appear within the app - customize to different levels, i.e. high school, nurses etc.
This app’s primary use is as a learning tool but can also be used as a fast and innovative reference tool by utilizing the index function which allows the user to select a muscle and the app will automatically zoom in and identify it. Additionally, this app is ideal for physicians, educators or professionals in helping to locate a muscle and / or explain its relevance for certain conditions, ailments and injuries.
Ratings and Reviews
Update on the way
I like all of the features of this app and find the information to be accurate, but I've also had problems with the app getting caught in a loop and I have to exit the app. I've contacted their customer service and have been told that an update to fix the issue is going to be released very soon. Apparently, the update will also introduce a brand new interface, a Full Screen mode, and enhanced features similar to that of their iPad product. I'll upgrade my rating if they hold true to their word.
UPDATE: I promised up my rating to 5 stars if the above problem was fixed...and it has been. Also, the new features included in this upgrade are great. Thanks!
Very Helpful, but not Functional on a Mac
This App is really really awesome in terms of the anatomical take. The 3D views and the ability to cut away, and the information on each muscle is great! It is a very helpful study tool and is a must for anyone studying this field.
However, it is greatly lacking functionality and ease of use on the Mac. Here are some problems I have run into.
1. Glitches while using the quiz feature. It will do the first couple of questions right, then it will start glitching and I have to close out of the quiz after a couple of questions.
2. The app needs to run in full screen mode, or at least in one window, it is very annoying having to click between tool bars to activate them.
3. There need to be swipe gestures added or at least perfected in the current version.
4. It would be nice to have multiple "my pins" tabs instead of one long list.
5. There needs to be a way to activate just "my pins" instead of having all pins show up on the model.
6. Pins should stay even when changing the view or adding or taking away layers.
Keep up the good work! Hope to see some of these changes in the future!
Useful Program with a few faults
I love that this program has finally come to the mac app store. However, my biggest issue is that the image resolution is very low. Therefore, using this program on a larger screen isn't as appreciable. This is also an issue with the other 3D4Medical mac apps. It would be nice to have a lion compatible full screen mode so that you can study without other distractions in the backgroud. Hopefully this is in the works.
Other than that, this program seems to serve its purpose, allows you to quiz yourself, check muscle info, add you own pins (very important feature)!! The controls are a little awkward to use but it's nothing that a few minutes of repetitive use can't fix.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.