The quickest way to jot down, transpose, edit and HEAR chord progressions in song charts with or without lyrics. Now also includes audio recording with time stretch and pitch shift on playback.
- The smart keyboard knows when you’ve typed a root and shows you a selection of chords, but you are not limited to just those, Musician’s Notebook will play back pretty much any chord you throw at it: “If it looks like a chord, it’s a chord!”
- Import text from emails, other apps or websites and Musicians Notebook will highlight the chords. Tap the chords to check they sound right and edit and reformat the song text to get it the way you think it should be.
- Transpose a song's chords in an instant with a single tap.
- Import wizard and special edit functions help reformat song texts for small screens.
- Build up a library of every song you play and, since it's all stored as plain text, chords and structures can be edited and shared quickly and easily.
- Create lists of songs and quickly reorder via drag and drop, ideal for setlists or if you play with multiple bands.
- The built in metronome with drum patterns allows you to set a tempo and rhythm for each song. Ideal for rehearsing, or just as a reminder.
- Audio recording: Record up to ten audio clips in each song with clickable links embedded in the song sheet. Perfect for sketching out song ideas, transcribing songs or simply as a reminder of a lyric, melody, rhythm or riff.
- Tap any chord in the song sheet and see the notes on the piano keyboard view or a guitar chord view.
Helps you learn, write, rehearse, remember, share and gig.
Songs are stored as plain text, with no special formats, Musician's Notebook looks for chord symbols in the text and presents chords as buttons you can play. Since it is just text you can grab songs from anywhere, edit them anywhere or in the app itself. Jot down a song in Musician's Notebook and send it as an email or message to a band member or accompanist... they can load it and hear the chords straight away in their Musician's Notebook.
Tap any chord in the song sheet and see the notes on the piano keyboard view or a guitar chord view.
Export recorded audio clips via share.
Ratings and Reviews
I don’t ever write reviews but...
This is probably the second review I’ve ever written in the 25 years of my life. This app is so genius yet simple and it’s a must for all guitarist. I would’ve created it myself if these awesome developers didn’t do already. You guys are awesome and I am very grateful! Keep doing what your doing and you will be very successful!
Can’t hear any audio
The volume settings on my phone say the volume is all the way up when I try pressing on a chord or press play but sound won’t come out which was the reason I wanted to buy the app.
Developer Response ,
Hi, I suspect your device is muted, flicking the hardware toggle switch on the side should fix this. If it does fix it, it would be great if you could update your rating! We'll put something into the app in the next release to warn users about the mute setting, sorry for the inconvenience! Drop us an email at email@example.com if you have any other questions, many thanks.
Other than your description of what it can do, there’s nothing to get a new used started. Tapping on various icons I was able to figure some things out, but it shouldn’t be an Easter egg hunt.
Also, it recorded what I played on my acoustic, but it doesn’t playback any audio, nor does it transcribe the chords I played.
Developer Response ,
Hi, sorry things are not as intuitive as they might be. There are instructions at https://atsikno.github.io/notebook.html and there is a link to this in the App Store listing. However, we will make sure and update the app to link to it directly in the next release. On the 'no audio' point, it sounds like your device may be in mute mode (usually controlled by the hardware switch on the side)? This app doesn't automatically transcribe chords from audio but the recorder feature is there to help you jot down ideas or riffs, or record a song so you can analyse it, slow it down and hear the chord changes etc. Finally, if you have questions please do reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can hopefully help you get the most out of the app. AK
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.