MusicJOT is a powerful music notation app that's also easy to use. Write quickly and naturally on a staff and watch it rendered into beautifully notated music. Interact directly, quickly dragging notes around to change their pitch or duration and choose advanced features from pop-up palettes. Listen to your composition with our full-featured audio playback engine, featuring unlimited tracks and 128 built-in General MIDI instruments. Export your scores in MusicXML or MIDI and pick them up in any desktop notation app such as Finale® or Sibelius® for final tweaking and printing.
• Enter music with your own natural handwriting and a stylus. Optimized for Apple Pencil®. Also directly supports Adonit® stylus.
• Alternative palette-driven system for notes and music symbols.
• Layers let you control and de-clutter what is displayed.
• "Virtual Pointer" allows spot-checking notes, local playback of notes or chords and entering/selecting events.
• The "Visual Road Map" shows your composition's repeat structure.
• Lyric support with automatic syllable flowing.
• Number of staffs and measures limited only by your device.
• Group instruments together, such as a woodwind section in an orchestral score.
• MusicJOT doesn't force you to maintain legal notation. Correct measures at any time with the Illegal Measure Buttons.
• Advanced settings allow fine tuning of dozens of parameters to tailor your notation style.
• Complete contextual help system, including a device-resident manual and tutorials.
• Individual staffs can be transposed for transposing instruments, such as trumpets and saxophones.
• Batch note manipulations, such as transpositions and copy/paste with merge, append and replace.
• Directly change note pitches (diatonic, chromatic) or durations by dragging when not in handwriting mode.
• Playback support for tempo markings and dynamics.
• Music spacing adjustable.
• Context sensitive menu system after selections for many often used operations such as octave transpositions, note/rest toggle, common triplets, and simple repeats, etc.
• Score manager allows creation of new scores from templates or custom setup.
• Air print directly from MusicJOT.
• Multiple voices per staff.
• A Staff Manager lets you rearrange all staffs.
• A new Transformation Editor lets you experiment with a variety of tools that you can apply to your predefined regions.
• A new Chord Editor lets you create playable text-based chords.
• Now with AirDrop.
• Now supports the new 3rd generation iPad Pro and new Apple Pencil.
• Additional Sound libraries can be purchased (InApp Purchases).
Added new sound libraries as In-App Purchases. After tapping on an instrument in the play window, the instruments chooser now has a dropdown revealing additional libraries purchased.
Staff Manager now shows the sound library in addition to the instrument for each staff.
Added additional user defined Apple Pencil Double Tap actions. This has both an new actions menu section and an on-screen (lower right) popup menu (must have 3rd generation iPad Pro and 2nd generation Apple Pencil).
Ratings and Reviews
Its getting better but
I was staying away from this app for awhile to let it get its bearings together, and honestly I was just frustrated with all the crashes and difficulty using it. But I came back to it today after about a year of not bothering with it to see what updates have been made since when I did contact customer support they got back to me very quickly and resolved one my issues with the app. For one it runs much smoother than before, and I'm having less issues writing the notes and getting them in the system correctly. But unfortunately about part way through a new project it crashed and scrambled the notes once I opened it back up and basically ruined my project. It does have a lot of potential, I really want to like it, but for now I'm not completely sold on it or the price I paid for it. Thankfully it looks like it has a dedicated team working on it.
Crashes a lot
I love the idea of the app but it is impossible to use. It seems the more notes you add to a score the more it crashes. I have reached the point in a project where if you try to do anything it crashes automatically. Adding a note, zooming in and out, selecting a note causes it to crash. It only has two staves with lyrics and like fifty measures, so it is not like a full piece. But if you start a new project and add notes and whatever, it works fine... for a while. So there is clearly an issue with the amount of material that is added to a score affecting how it performs. There has been 2 or 3 updates since I have been unable to add anything, and none have fixed the problem. I paid $30 for the app and I can’t use it.
Very good, getting better.
I have been using this app for over a year now. The developers continue to improve and refine it. All music composition programs are complicated – notation is a very tricky medium.
Finale requires study and practice to use. Sibelius requires study and practice to use. MusicJot requires study and practice to use.
Learn each category of operation separately before trying to compose the next great symphony. If you have to figure out each step as you go, then you are going to make mistakes. If you make mistakes, you’re going to blame the program.
Learn to operate the program in the same way that you learn to play on an instrument. First practice, then perform.
At least, that’s the way it works for me.
- Mona Lisa Sound, Inc.
- 524.7 MB
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2017 Mona Lisa Sound, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Timbres Of Heaven $9.99
- Dance Organs $3.99
- Various Synths $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.