Do you have a music collection of thousands of albums on your computer or network drive? Now you can browse and play that music directly on your iPad without syncing or waiting for a download. You can also stream to Chromecast or Airplay speakers.
“Music Streamer is a fantastic answer to a common problem” - 148Apps
"MusicStreamer is easily one of the best music streaming apps available for the iOS operating system. This app allows simple and automatic synchronization between your device and your PC." - appPicker.com
"MusicStreamer is a smart, new app that makes local music streaming easier than ever." - AppAdvice.com
None of the other apps we tried had the must have features we wanted, which were:
- Easy setup wizard.
- Reliably streams music directly from your PC, Mac, Time Capsule, or Network Drive.
- Provides excellent playlist management.
- Import existing iTunes playlists.
- Search by album, track, artist or genre.
- Effortlessly supports tens of thousands of tracks.
- Offline mode: Download tracks, albums or playlists to play in offline mode.
- Supports lossless FLAC, OPUS and WAV files as well as MP3, M4A, AAC and AIF.
- Supports gapless playback.
- Is easy to set up and has an intuitive and powerful user interface.
- AirPlay and Chromecast music support.
- Scrobble to last.fm.
- Groups album tracks based on your existing folder arrangement.
- Access multiple libraries and easily switch between them.
- Extracts tags and album art embedded in audio files and also uses album art from files in your music folders.
- Audiobus and inter-app audio support, acting as a music source.
We would love to hear your feedback on firstname.lastname@example.org and this will drive new features in future updates.
Thanks for using MusicStreamer! This update includes the following improvements.
- Fixed a crash when expanding a playlist on iOS 9.3.5.
Ratings and Reviews
MusicStreamer was just what the doctor ordered. Although I use a PC, iTunes is designed for iOS systems. With MusicStreamer, one can just about disregard iTunes altogether. I can play all of my music through my iPhone or my iPad without iTunes. Such a relief!! I can really only think of one thing for improvement. That would be the inclusion of an equalizer.
The product support was great when I needed it. Those guys were right there providing the help I needed.
Oh yeah; if your concerned about the cost, just toss that notion out. You really can’t find anything better for streaming your music at home or work (as the case may be).
If I could, I’d only give 4 1/2 stars for the lack of an equalizer. So 5 will have to do.
Had trouble getting it to work
I bought this app because the description said it played to Chromecast Audio. I couldn’t get it to work for quite a while — my Chromecast device finally showed up when I went to playlists. Not sure what happened there...
The app doesn’t leverage the iTunes library. Rather, it scans a particular PC path for music files and allows you to stream them. I have had problems that, when I try to play a playlist, the app mysteriously stops between songs. That’s a bit irritating.
So, overall, while it does what’s advertised, it seems a bit clunky. I wish iTunes allowed you to play to Chromecast, but this is an acceptable workaround.
Developer Response ,
MusicStreamer is able to stream to both Chromecast Audio devices and Apple AirPlay devices. It isn't just limited to local playback on iPhone/iPad. Please email email@example.com if you need help getting this to work.
Updating My Review again... Excellent App... Period!
This is a great app for streaming music. I have not found anything close for streaming from a NAS especially if you want to stream high bitrate/bitdepth files to an external USB DAC. As of the latest update the devs have recently addressed all of my gripes. I can now say that this is a solid five star app. Great job!
The great news:
1. They fixed the issue with high resolution Flac files not being sent to an external DAC in the correct format. The app used to downsampling these, now works great. Thanks!
2. Fixed my tiny UI quibble... the UI has now been updated to scale nicely on a large iPad Pro. Thanks!
3. Fixed Flac bit rate issue. Thank you!
1. Apple TV app. Would love something similar for Apple TV. It would be great to have access to SMB music files with the similar experience on home theater. Obviously wouldn’t get the same external DAC support but would still be nice. I’d even pay more for a premium.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.