Mutter is a free and easy-to-use IRC client optimised for the iPhone and iPad. It allows you to connect to thousands of IRC networks all over the world, and chat to people about any topic you can think of.
- Multiple servers with network presets
- Auto-completion for nicknames and commands
- User interface for managing command aliases
- Dark mode variant of the user interface
- Theme support for chat views
- Pull-to-search across channels, queries, and networks
- Touch ID and passcode protected access
- 3D Touch support to peek and pop into chats and links
- Configurable scrollback buffer size
- IRC text formatting supporting bold, italic, underline, and colours
- Shows images inline (including animated GIFs)
- Split-screen Multitasking for the iPad
- Expandable and collapsible networks in network list
- Built in commands with support for user-defined aliases
- Integrates with Spotify and Apple Music
- Notification overlay with tappable actions (e.g. connect, join channel, etc)
- Highlight on specific keywords or phrases
- Highlights easily accessible by tapping on the "Networks" title
- Configurable swipe gestures to easily traverse networks and chats
- Shake gesture to clear message counts for chats
- Ignore users (someone getting on your nerves?)
- Manage channel modes and properties
- Send Photo from Photo Library or Camera
- iCloud synchronisation of settings
- Execute commands on connection
- Supports ZNC 1.6 or later
- Supports Push Notifications via Mutter Push ZNC module
- Simple Authentication and Security Layer (SASL)
- Lag indicator and auto reconnect
- German localisation
- IRCv3 compliant
- Added ability to select multiple messages and copy them to the pasteboard (to do so, long press on a message until a toolbar appears at the bottom. Once you've selected multiple messages, you'll then be able to perform a bulk copy to the pasteboard by selecting 'Copy' on the toolbar at the bottom of the screen).
- Transcript date separator format now uses "yyyy-MM-dd" (e.g. 2018-06-03)
- Small tweaks to scrolling performance
- Fixed issue with app crashing when clicking on channel link with no connection
- Fixed issue with network list sometimes jumping to the top when collpasing a network
Ratings and Reviews
Mutter great..”needs” to be in front?
Mutter seems to be ideal. Two thing I wish could be different: 1)hide all channel messages and 2) prevent from disconnecting from channels anytime Mutter is not in front. Both are problems, #2 effectively holds the user hostage in a manner of speaking...you must have it in front in order to maintain the connection to chat channels. Otherwise just about perfect.
Apple introduced a change in iOS 7 onwards that suspends background processes after 3 minutes. The only applications that are exempt from this are: Music player apps, Audio recording apps, SatNav apps, and VoIP apps. Unfortunately, there is no workaround for this. We recommend that you use a ZNC server (http://wiki.znc.in/ZNC).
The best IRC for iOS!
I have tried every irc client and this one just works the best and ITS FREE!!! Setting up a znc bouncer on my home network was a cinch and makes my use of mutter completely seamless. The community on the #mutterirc channel on are super helpful and can point you in the right direction if your questions are not answered in the FAQ.
Thanks for this awesome free app!
Thanks for a great review. We are only too glad to help with any support questions in #mutterirc and it’s a great place to chat about new ideas etc.
Clean, simple, Straightforward
I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical when downloading an app so new, but I was pleasantly surprised. There is nothing complicated here. It is very easy to use and not loud or cluttered. I really like it so far. I have about 10 hours of use at this writing.
Thanks for a great review :)
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.