By Finicity Corporation
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Now you can do envelope budgeting on your iPhone. The Mvelopes iPhone app is a free application from Mvelopes which allows you real-time access to your Mvelopes account. Unlike other personal finance apps, Mvelopes lets you view, update and manage your finances right from your iPhone. You can enter expenses, view envelope balances, and assign transactions in real time. Everything you do automatically updates your Mvelopes account.
To start using Mvelopes, sign up for an account on the Mvelopes website, add your online banking accounts, and set up your budget. You can then use Mvelopes while on the go to give you full access to all of your personal financial information in Mvelopes.
KEY MVELOPES FEATURES
• Complete, real-time synchronization with the Mvelopes web app.
• Access, add, or change financial data while on the go.
• Simultaneous access to account information by multiple users.
• Take pictures of receipts and other supporting documents and attach them to transactions for documentation purposes.
• Use location-based features to “check in” to nearby locations, allowing Mvelopes to quickly show you the envelope balances and spending categories you typically use at that location.
APPLYING ENVELOPE BUDGETING PRINCIPLES ON THE GO
• Access all of your envelope balances so you always know what you can spend
• Review balances of your checking, savings, credit card, and other accounts
• Access individual transaction details
• Assign transactions to expense envelopes, including splitting transactions
• Mvelopes automatically downloads transactions from over 14,000 financial institutions, freeing you from hours of tedious bookkeeping so you can focus on managing your finances using the principles of envelope budgeting.
• Mvelopes is committed to your security. In the unlikely event you lose your phone, not only is your data encrypted (on devices running iOS 4.0 and above), but you can easily change your password at the Mvelopes website to block unwanted access to your account.
What's New in Version 1.3.07
This build consists UX fixes to make app compatible with iOS 7 and some critical functionality related bug fixes.
buggy, but useful
The app's strength is its budgeting software, which functions as an electronic 'clone' of a paper envelope system. It aggregates information from many bank accounts and displays them on my device, just like at their online site. But this later feature is pretty standard among todays mobile banking apps, and the former is buggy; I am often unable to download my updated budget, rendering the major useful function... not very useful!
The app is overall in need of more attention, which would earn it another star. But so would an addition for the Ipad! Those serious about mobile data entry like myself appreciate the many keyboard accessories for the Ipad, but since my keyboard sets up in landscape mode, and the app does not support it, I have to enter all of my financial from my keyboard at a 90 degree viewing angle. Simply releasing a version that supported landscape mode would greatly increase the usability of this app on the Ipad. In my opinion, the concept of the app is better served on an Ipad anyway.
In short, I'd recommend the app to mvelopes subscribers, but only to those who are tech saavy enough to create work arounds for the limited technology in the app itself.
Buggy and no access to budget tab
This app works okay for the basics- assigning transactions, funding envelopes and keeping track of your finances. It fails however in splitting transactions and produces multiple errors which are duplicates. Also, I would love to see my normal budgeting tab in the mobile app. Currently if I want to see how much I am planning on putting in a certain envelope I have to click on that envelope and guess based on my past funding. So for example if I funded groceries for 300 a month in the past few months and decided last week I wanted to change that to 400 a month but a paycheck hasn't come in yet it won't be clear to me visually. It would just be nice to see the entire budget at once and flip between planned spending and planned funding
Please give us an ipad app with more functions.
This app is ok for assigning transactions and looking at balances. We need an ipad app that goes beyond that. The iphone app does not give me access to my current funding profiles. I am disappointed that the mvelopes full site still uses flash therefore making it unusable on my ipad. Please give us the website functions in an ipad app. (Or at least give us a website that is capable of working on the ipad!) Then I can stop having to get out my laptop just to fund my envelopes or run reports.