My Aurora Forecast is the best app for seeing the Northern Lights. Built with a sleek dark design, it appeals to both tourists and serious aurora watchers by telling you what you want to know - whether that is exactly how likely you are to see the aurora borealis or details about the solar winds and high-resolution sun imagery. With this app, you'll be seeing the Northern Lights in no time.
- Find the current KP index and how likely you are to see the Northern Lights in the United States or the rest of the world.
- View a list of the best locations to view from right now.
- Map showing how strong the aurora is around the world, based on the SWPC ovation auroral forecast.
- Free push notifications when auroral activity is expected to be high.
- Forecasts for the next hour, several hours and several weeks so you can plan your Northern Lights viewing long in advance (subject to weather conditions).
- Solar wind statistics and sun imagery.
- Tour information so if you're considering to go to locations such as Iceland, Sweden, Finland or even Alaska or Canada, you'll be able to find tours that we can recommend to you.
- Support for the latest iPhone and iPad (including split view).
- Completely free of charge for all functionality, no in-app purchases.
If you want the latest updates on geomagnetic activity and enjoy viewing the aurora borealis, this app is right for you. This version is ad-supported and is similar to other apps such as Aurora Forecast., AuroraWatch UK and Aurorasaurus.
Small bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
It would be perfect but...
It would be awesome if they could add a section where people could post sightings/locations near you, I am imagining that in the app you could set it to show sightings within a certain radius of your location, this would be really helpful for nights in place like Minnesota(northern US) where it is not too often that we can see the AB, and so we can be sure that there are sightings tonight that would make some of the less risk takers among us to be assured that we could see them on that night.
I, unfortunately, live in Southern California so I'm not able to see the aurora in person, but I am an aurora live cam junkie. This app is super useful in letting me know where the best places to tune in from are, how active I can expect the aurora to be in the coming days, and it alerts me to auroras in the place I've set as home. I wish I could set multiple places for alerts, but the 'find best places to watch' function is nearly as good. If you're an aurora borealis lover and dreamer, this app is necessary.
Worked perfectly for us
We specifically came to iceland to see the northern lights. We had no luck on a bus trip or on a boat cruise. I downloaded this app. When in Reykoldt in West Iceland, I received an alert that there was a high likelihood they would be visible in an hour. The forecast was spot on. Visibility started at the time predicted and ended due to cloud coverage 30 minutes later. Our entire tour group cheered and I was the heroine who allowed it to happen thanks to Aurora.
- JRustonApps B.V.
- 156.2 MB
Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, German
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © Copyright 2017 jRustonApps.com.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.