There are lots of alarm clock apps out there, but I wrote My Music Alarm to solve a few specific problems that other apps didn't solve:
- WAKE TO YOUR MUSIC: I wanted to wake up to a song selected from my iPod. Other apps can only play from a playlist, or can only play a selected song as a paid upgrade. This app doesn't have built-in alarm sounds or playlist access, but it lets you quickly select any song from your iPod, and then plays that song in a loop until you wake up. (Update: This functionality is included in the built-in Clock app in iOS 6 and later.)
- SNOOZE/OFF CONTROL: I needed more distinction between the Snooze and Stop buttons when the alarm goes off. Most apps display two big buttons on the screen, so it's easy to turn the alarm off before you're really awake. This app makes the whole screen a Snooze button (easy to press) and makes the Stop button a two-step process (hard to press accidentally).
- PROGRESSIVE VOLUME: The volume of the songs on my iPod varies, and the background noise around my house also varies, so other alarms sometimes don't play loudly enough to wake me up. This app includes a volume test button right on the main screen, to compensate for different song volumes, and an option to increase the alarm volume every minute, in case the background noise in the house is louder when I wake up than it is when I go to bed.
I also added a few features for convenience:
- FAST TIME ENTRY: You can enter your alarm time by typing in a number, which is usually faster than the scrolling wheel that other alarm clocks use.
- SHORT SNOOZE: When your alarm is playing, you can tap the screen for a normal 9-minute snooze, or double-tap it for a 3-minute "short snooze" -- perfect for those mornings when you need to get every bit of sleep you can!
- 24-HOUR TIME: If your device is set to use 24-hour time, this app will automatically operate in 24-hour mode as well.
However, I also tried to keep the app simple, without a lot of extra features that make it difficult to navigate. So, please send any feedback using the link below, but keep in mind that the app will probably remain focused on the main features listed here.
To send feedback or request help, please visit http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/mymusicalarm.
PLEASE READ BEFORE USING:
- The alarm will only play if My Music Alarm is the frontmost app on your device. Switching to another app makes it inactive -- this is determined by the operating system and is beyond my control. You can leave your device running (if it's plugged into a power source), manually lock your device, or let it auto-lock and the alarm will still play at the right time, as long as you left My Music Alarm in front.
- If you plug in your device and leave it running, you'll see the snooze and stop controls when the alarm goes off. If you lock your device or let it auto-lock, you'll hear the alarm, but you'll have to unlock your device before you see the snooze and stop controls. Once the alarm has gone off, your device won't auto-lock while it is snoozing.
- If your device is not plugged into a power source, My Music Alarm will use more battery power than your device normally does while locked. Please be sure your battery is adequately charged if you are not able to plug it in while you sleep.
If you have a problem or a suggestion, please contact me before writing a bad review. I have no way to respond or help you if you publish your complaints in a review, but I respond promptly to all emails.
Updated for current iOS versions.
Ratings and Reviews
Set alarm using actual number pad! Thank you!
The only advantage my ancient Nokia had over my iphone was the fact that you could set the alarm using the actual numbers on the keypad. That scrolling element on the iphone is fine for some things, but come on, people. Alarm clocks don't need gimmicks. They are best when they allow you to set the time with very little chance for error or wasted time deciding if scrolling up or down will be faster. At last, my prince has come. Now if I could only stop slapping him when he wakes me up...
It REALLY Works.
For those who gave it 1 star you have to keep the app open in order for it to work. It worked flawlessly for me. One of the best apps so far!!!
I love getting to choose my own wake-up music. I love that I don't have to wake up too far to hit snooze. And it's easy to set. Now, if only it had some color.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.