My Secret Hideout
By Zarfhome Software Consulting
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
My Secret Hideout is not a game. It is an interactive toy... or rather poem... or artwork...
My Secret Hideout is a wacky, creative thing set in a treehouse. It’s not like any app you’ve seen before. Play around with it!
Drag leaves down and attach them to the tree. Every time you add a leaf, the description of the treehouse grows and changes. The changes are random... aren’t they?
- Watch the treehouse grow, or just play with the leaves! Fun for your fingertips and for your mind.
- Approximately a googol possible combinations!
- Save your favorite treehouses; mail them to your friends!
- (A googol is a big number. Honest. Look it up.)
- (Maybe it’s more like ten million googol combinations, but hey, what’s a few orders of magnitude.)
My Secret Hideout has no goal, no score, no trophies. Explore it, or play with it, until you find a result you like. Will your treehouse be simple or complex? Can you guide it? What will you discover inside?
- “...it shares some of IF’s appeal — the visionary access to a place of someone else’s imagination. There are a lot of zarfian ideas here.” -- Emily Short, emshort.wordpress.com
- “At first I was thrilled to find a room with fresh cheese, but I discovered I couldn’t add more detail without losing the cheese room.” -- playontap.com
- “Oh, this is weirdly fun” -- Goob
What's New in Version 1.1.1
- VoiceOver support!
- Sound effects now obey the volume/mute buttons on all devices
- Fixed a rare bug where changes were not saved on exit
- Fixed a couple of display glitches
When I heard about this game, I knew I had to buy it. Money was tight, but what the heck. Now I'm almost wishing I hadn't, because I can't seem to stop playing it. Every time I think I've exhausted the possibilities, I do something a bit different, and suddenly I have a spiral staircase, a glass of wine, or even an elevator. The kids say the graphics aren't very good, but not all kids are as picky as mine. I'd like a sound when a structure gets annihilated, and it would also be nice if Voiceover would read the new segments of description automatically as they are structured in. It would also be cool if, instead of saying branch or leaf when you touch it, Voiceover would actually say the part of the treehouse you're touching so you can know if you want to move it or not, but I don't think the sighted people get this info either lol. I love your games, so please keep on making more! I'd pay ten dollars for a project just like this, but five times bigger. Seriously!
Inventive and engrossing
I hadn't expected this "game" to capture me so completely. Unlike anything else on the iPad, this app allows you to visually create a secret treehouse hideout, dragging rooms onto your tree. As you do this, the app creates a story along side your treehouse. The story relates the details of how the rooms look, what's in them, and much more. This may not sound that enticing, but the effect is magical. It helps to a great extent that the game is extremely intuitive and the text is very, very well written and even hypnotic at times. Relaxing, yet challenging, with tremendous replay value. This is the kind of unique experience I had in mind when the iPad came out. It's a little remarkable to me that more people don't know about this game. This is the first of dozens of apps that I've downloaded that I've taken the time to actually write a review for. It's that good.
Fun way to while away time
Many apps are 'consume only', encouraging you to ingest the entertainment prepared. This is more like a good toy, encouraging you to play...tweak, alter, move nodes slightly, and see the differences in the text. It's not passive entertainment, but it also doesn't require a deep mental investment to enjoy. I love popping this open in idle times and generating something new, imagining the space as its described. That's the big hurdle, though. If you can't, or won't, take the time to imagine the space as its described, then you won't get much out of My Secret Treehouse. I love it.
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Oct 20, 2011
- Version: 1.1.1
- Size: 2.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Andrew Plotkin
- © 2011 Zarfhome Software Consulting, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.