There are lots of alarm clock apps out there, but I wrote My Voice Alarm to solve a few specific problems that other apps didn't solve:
- WAKE TO YOUR RECORDING: I wanted to wake up to one of my own recordings that I make with the device's built-in microphone. Other apps can only save one custom recording, but this app lets you build your own library of recordings, and then plays your selected recording in a loop until you wake up.
- SNOOZE/OFF CONTROL: I needed more distinction between the Snooze and Stop buttons when the alarm goes off. Most apps display two big buttons on the screen, so it's easy to turn the alarm off before you're really awake. This app makes the whole screen a Snooze button (easy to press) and makes the Stop button a two-step process (hard to press accidentally).
- PROGRESSIVE VOLUME: The volume of my recordings might vary, and the background noise around my house also varies, so other alarms sometimes don't play loudly enough to wake me up. This app includes a volume test button right on the main screen, to compensate for different recording volumes, and an option to increase the alarm volume every minute, in case the background noise in the house is louder when I wake up than it is when I go to bed.
I also added a few features for convenience:
- FAST TIME ENTRY: You can enter your alarm time by typing in a number, which is usually faster than the scrolling wheel that other alarm clocks use.
- SHORT SNOOZE: When your alarm is playing, you can tap the screen for a normal 9-minute snooze, or double-tap it for a 3-minute "short snooze" -- perfect for those mornings when you need to get every bit of sleep you can!
- 24-HOUR TIME: If your device is set to use 24-hour time, this app will automatically operate in 24-hour mode as well.
However, I also tried to keep the app simple, without a lot of extra features that make it difficult to navigate. So, please send any feedback using the link below, but keep in mind that the app will probably remain focused on the main features listed here.
To send feedback or request help, please visit http://www.arlomedia.com/apps/myvoicealarm.
PLEASE READ BEFORE USING:
- The alarm will only play if My Voice Alarm is the frontmost app on your device. Switching to another app makes it inactive -- this is determined by the operating system and is beyond my control. You can leave your device running (if it's plugged into a power source), manually lock your device, or let it auto-lock and the alarm will still play at the right time, as long as you left My Voice Alarm in front.
- If you plug in your device and leave it running, you'll see the snooze and stop controls when the alarm goes off. If you lock your device or let it auto-lock, you'll hear the alarm, but you'll have to unlock your device before you see the snooze and stop controls. Once the alarm has gone off, your device won't auto-lock while it is snoozing.
- If your device is not plugged into a power source, My Voice Alarm will use more battery power than your device normally does while locked. Please be sure your battery is adequately charged if you are not able to plug it in while you sleep.
If you have a problem or a suggestion, please contact me before writing a bad review. I have no way to respond or help you if you publish your complaints in a review, but I respond promptly to all emails.
Updated for current iOS versions.
Ratings and Reviews
Downloaded this after searching extensively for an alarm that would simply play a recording of my voice. IT WORKS. I have zero complaints about the simplicity. Its January 3rd 2019 and I am using an iPhone 6s Plus. Definitely recommended using with a power source however battery useage isnt awful. I can now quickly and easily make a recording of my own voice to remind myself that I need to run an errand or two before going to work, for example, whereas when using regular alarms I tend to ignore the alarm tone or tune and snooze through. This app has prevented me from missing important errands and tasks and forces me out of bed as desired! Its great that it allows numerous recordings to be saved. It would be great to have an “advanced” version that allows multiple alarms for several times on the same day, for example. Great app!
Seriously great concept but only one alarm
I bought this app thinking that I could set more than one alarm and has a great concept but who only needs one alarm. I bought this because I have multiple medications for my brain that I have to take throughout the day for a condition that I have and I needed this because I need to make sure that I don’t just snooze my alarm thinking it’s another phone call or another calendar reminder. Next time I have to sit and read two bunches of reviews to make sure that this is another app or only get to set one alarm. Please fix this bug and make it to where I can set multiple alarms. Otherwise this is a great concept and I’m glad I found it however next time I would prefer I don’t have to spend money on something that I can only set one alarm.
Exactly what I needed
I’m glad I tried this app despite the low rating. I wanted an alarm that would allow me to record voice reminders to wake myself up and this is exactly what this does. The only suggestion I would make is for the app to give the option of making multiple alarms set instead of just one (I need it). If you don’t like the app that means you DIDNT READ THE INSTRUCTIONS/FYI’s before buying!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.