By Alphablind Studio
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
THE BIRDWATCHING TOOL - You discover a species that you have never seen before? You want to have your life list with you all the time? You are planning a trip and compiling a list of species that you wish to photograph?
With myBirdList by NATURE MOBILE your "Life List" is always up-to-date and you are organizing your "Events", "Sightings" and “Files” on the road or at home. The app provides the names of more than 10.000 species and 18000 sub-species from all around the world in several languages. The species can be sorted according to their distribution area, your current location, and family.
For every "Event" and each "Sighting" you can store comprehensive information and “Files”. These include, for example, place and time, number of observed birds, sex, breeding time code, etc. Current Ornitho and eBird standards are mapped. You also get the option to transfer your data for further processing onto a smartphone or tablet.
"Files" are your photos, sounds, videos, texts, or other content belonging to a sighting. You can put links / references to any files and organize all your activities at one place.
TIP: Try myBirdList for smartphones.
+ Organize "Events", "Sightings" and “Files” on the road
+ Keep your "Life List" always up to date
+ 10000 species and 18000 sub-species from all around the world organized by region, family, and location
+ Organize photos and files with "Events" and "Sightings"
+ Import / Export to smartphone or tablet
+ Import / Export via Dropbox or Google Drive
+ Supports eBird friendly formats for import and export
+ Supports import from ornitho in XML format
+ Supports import of Naturgucker.de (only Germany)
Please note: In order to import your data to eBird on their websites, your data may have to be manually adjusted. The reasons are different terminologies and possible input mistakes. When importing, you are usually alerted and you can correct mistakes easily.
*** App and content entirely in English, German, French and Spanish
*** Species names in many languages, depending on the type in up to 40 languages (no guarantee of completeness)
eBird, Ornitho, Naturgucker, Dropbox and Google Drive are not trademarks of NATURE MOBILE.
What's New in Version 1.3.0
Bug fixes. Added option to regenerate Life List.
Promising, beautiful interface, but not intuitive, time consuming and buggy
The app in itself looks beautiful. Clean design. However, some annoying bugs:
* Events can disappear. I spent an hour entering sightings, only to come back and found everything gone. Just. Completely. Gone. Not there.
* iCloud sync doesn’t work for months already and will not be fixed before February 2015 according to them.
* When adding a sighting to an event (a trip for example), the default location it’s set to, is… your current location. So you went out spotting birds, and for each and every bird you add you need to move the pin again from your home to the general area of the spotting. I don’t know who thought that would be a good idea, but for me it doesn’t make sense at all. Even more, I have geotagged photos that I’d like to add; I would hope it would take the location from the photo.
* When adding a sighting to your event, it’s status is “Wished” until you change the “Observed” counter to a number higher than 0. Logical. What is not logical is that it doesn’t reflect that until you either restart the app or add another sighting.
* There is no list view for events, so event names can only be really short because otherwise relevant information isn’t visible anymore.
* It was completely unclear for me how to add my own photos to my sightings. In the end there is what I would call a "hidden feature" where you have to double click the sighting and then you can upload a file. It feels like an unfinished feature though, and I would expect other ways to reach that functionality (button/tab in the sightings panel, button in the files tab where I can then later associate it with a sighting).
All in all I’ve spent like 16 hours in this app to make it work for me. I always end up annoyed and unsatisfied. Really, SUCH a shame. The only birding app in the app store looks pretty but is buggy, not logical in use and doesn’t sync to use. I am very sad about this.