Apple’s new ResearchKit allows you to participate in important medical research studies easily through your iPhone. Stanford Medicine invites you to join the MyHeart Counts study to improve our understanding of heart health. The MyHeart Counts app is a personalized tool that can help you measure daily activity, fitness, and cardiovascular risk. It can also help you better understand your own heart health and contribute to our understanding of how to keep hearts healthy around the world. Join our research effort and make your heart count today!
The app can help you measure your activity through the sensors in your iPhone or the Apple Watch, or any wearable activity device linked to Apple Health App. If you are able, you can also do a walking fitness assessment. Plus, using your cholesterol results and blood pressure, the MyHeart Counts app will provide a calculation of your risk for future heart attack or stroke, as well as a relative “heart age.” By helping you track your activity levels and giving you feedback, we aim to help people be more informed and empowered in their health. We may also ask you to test different approaches to help you be more active so we can understand how mobile apps in the future can help prevent heart disease.
Record and track your:
• Physical activity through your iPhone or a Apple Health App-linked device
• Fitness level, if you are able, through a 6 minute walk test
• Risk score for heart disease or stroke, and your corresponding “heart age”
Receive reminders and notifications about:
• Your activity and sleep
• Surveys on Physical Activity Readiness and other health factors
• Entering blood pressure and cholesterol levels to calculate your risk score
• Learn about your activity level and walking fitness
• Learn about your risk factors and how to improve
• Links to learn about heart disease and stroke and the American Heart Association’s “Life’s Simple 7” guide to heart health
To join the Stanford MyHeart Counts research study on heart health, you need to:
• Be 18 or older
• Reside within the United States, United Kingdom or Hong Kong
• Be able to read and understand English
Install the app today and learn about your heart, help research, and join together in the fight to stop heart disease!
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
iOS 12 is now supported. Assorted bugs have been fixed.
Ratings and Reviews
I do water aerobics for 1 hour 3 days a week. I exercise vigorously, but in cardiovascular terms it may only be moderate. I cannot tell.
Some days were recorded as 12 or so hours sleeping. Not possible. It seems when I am working in the yard the app shuts off. Because I am out of WiFi range?
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the feedback. We are interested in learning more about these issues. The 12 hour of sleep may be due to the fact we treat long period the phone is totally stationary - does your phone site idle for long parts of the day? What do you mean by the "app shuts off"? Kindly reply at
My watch component needs to be updated
I have downgraded this app from a 5 to a 3 to alert the team that my the watch app won’t install because it needs to be updated.
Developer Response ,
Our app does not yet have a watch interface. Are you thinking of the Apple Heart Study?
Read from Health
I wish this app would gather information from Health app. Like sleep information. No point in me entering it everyday.
Developer Response ,
This information is gathered in the background and used for research. We are working to improve the display of these information back to you on the dashboard. By asking self-reported values, we are able to validate the automatic data collected by HealthKit.
- Stanford University
- 110.4 MB
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Frequent/Intense Medical/Treatment Information
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2015 Stanford Medicine
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.