By Joe Workman
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Climate provides quick and easy access to manage your Nest® thermostat directly the menu bar on your Mac. You no longer need to walk to your Nest in order to change temperature or settings.
Climate displays your temperature settings directly in the menu bar. This allows you to quickly glance and verify that your thermostat is setup just as you like it.
Climate will send notifications straight to your desktop when your Nest® temperature has changed, has been set to Away and other important events.
When you launch Climate, there isn't an icon on the dock. Climate is meant to only live on your menu bar. This should clear any confusion with thinking that the app does not launch.
**Configuring Notifications** I am working on preferences to control the notifications. Until that update, you can tweak how the notifications are displayed inside your Notifications System Preference pane.
**Important** In order to use this application, you will need to own a Nest® thermostat and have access to your online account at home.nest.com.
Got questions or feedback? Give us a shout at joeworkman.net/support
Icon designed by KaL MichaeL
Nest® is a trademark of Nest Labs, Inc. Climate is not affiliated with or endorsed by Nest Labs, Inc.
What's New in Version 1.2.3
1. Climate now supports the new, fully redesigned, Nest web interface.
2. The new interface is in preparation for supporting Nest Protect devices.
3. Faster application load times.
4. Better power efficiency and resource utilization.
1. Climate now supports the new backend services made by Nest so that we can login to your Nest accounts again.
1. Temporarily disabled the notifications for Nest device state changes (heat/cool/idle) until preferences controls can be added in a future release.
1. Notification Center Support for the following changes: Temp Setting, State (heat/cool), Away, Offline
2. New menu items:
- Mode Toggle - Home
- Mode Toggle - Away
- Logout of Nest account
3. Much smoother launch animations.
4. The Nest account management tab is now displayed.
5. Near instantaneous response in updating the menu bar or when getting notifications for change.
6. New Preferences window.
7. Preference to auto launch Climate on login.
8. Preference to change the menu bar icon to display the leaf icon, the temp settings from your devices or the external temperature outside.
9. You can now define which Nest devices you would like to display within the menu bar. Climate will remember your devices across multiple accounts as well.
10. Newly styled view when there are connection issues with Nest.
11. Climate will keep trying to reconnect to Nest when there are connection errors.
Great app, but I don’t see updates from the developer as much as I would like. I like the convenience of adjusting my thermostat from my Mac, but I do run into issue with this app on a consistant basis, enough to look for an alternative. First issue I come accross often is when I click on the icon in the staus bar where it lives it doesn’t drop down no matter how many times I click or how long I wait. This forces me to right click the icon and quit the app and start it back up again. Second issuie is whenever I start the app and click on the thermostat I was to adjust it shows me the how to use guide in EVERY SINGLE SESSION. Once how to is great, but this app doesn’t rememer that it told me this informaiton already which drives me nuts. Other then that app is just a glorified web broweser that lives in your status bar and gives you the same interface that Nest’s website offers. I would like to see these issues fixed and hopefully some major redeigns to offer a more usable experience.
Houston, The problem has been resolved!!!!
Phenomenol! Climate is back to 100%
After a rather sudden and unannouced change to the whole control interface by Nest. Mr. Workman had to dive in quickly to resolve issues with this invaluable little app. I am here to report that he has done so in a splendid and efficient manner. For those of you who have the Nest thermostat… buy this app. It is great to have this control directly from the menubar.
I will be receiving my Nest Smoke Detector in the first week of December so I am REALLY happy to have Climate back up and running again as well.
I was excited to find this and it seems to work great. I love that it mimics the app so well and that you can see the current temp settings in the menubar….however, I would prefer to have an additional option which allows you to see the current indoor/outdoor temp instead of the set ranges or just the outdoor temp.
It would also be helpful if the menubar temps turned red/blue while heating/cooling for instant ability to tell without having to open just to check.
those two additions would make this 5 star in a heartbeat.