myTracks - The GPS-Logger
By Dirk Stichling
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
myTracks - The GPS logger
myTracks turns your iPhone into a fully functional GPS logger. The GPS tracks can be displayed on different maps. If needed maps can be downloaded for offline usage. During recording, you can add waypoints to highlight important locations. In addition to the waypoints you can take photos with myTracks, which are added to the GPS track. The GPS tracks are stored only on your iPhone. That means, there is no need to register or login to any network service. But if you wish, you can synchronize all your GPS tracks and photos via iCloud between all your devices (iOS and OS X).
You can start and stop individual GPS recordings or use the power-saving diary mode. Using this mode myTracks automatically creates a single GPS track for each day with the most important locations. The GPS tracks are organized in the track library. From there, you can export tracks or the associated photos, send them via e-mail and publish them on social networks.
The integrated Apple Watch app displays information about the current GPS recording. This includes the starting time, distance traveled, current, minimum and maximum elevation and the current map. Using the Apple Watch App you can start and stop the GPS recording and add waypoints.
Features of myTracks:
- GPS track recording using iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch
- Display of the tracks on various maps
- Optionally, the maps can be used offline, i.e. without internet connection.
- During a GPS recording waypoints and photos can be added to the track.
- GPS tracks can be sent by e-mail.
- Photos can be sent by email or published on social networks.
- The GPS tracks can be sent by e-mail or opened in other apps as GPX, KML, KMZ or ZIP files.
- Recorded GPS tracks can be synchronized with myTracks running on a Mac.
- GPS tracks and photos can be synced via iCloud.
- Apple Watch App
- myTracks is ad-free
Unlike many other apps myTracks uses OpenStreetMap based maps, which are processed on servers optimized for myTracks. The maps are rendered on the servers and loaded by myTracks. This has two major advantages: First, very little computing power is needed on the iPhone, which in turn saves energy. And secondly downloaded map data is stored on the iPhone without having to load the map data of an entire country. This is also the reason why you can not download an offline map from a pre-defined list. Instead, you can individually configure your own offline maps (in-app purchase).
myTracks can be extended with the following in-app purchase:
- Extension Pack 1:
- myTracks stores any downloaded map data locally in a cache. But if you want to create your own offline maps for arbitrary regions, then you need this in-app purchase.
- Export of GPS tracks as a ZIP compressed GPX file, as KML, or KMZ files. In addition to the GPS data, these files optionally contain the associated photos.
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
What's New in Version 3.2.2
Great Application. Nice work.
I needed something simple that could run in the background while I am on the water. I needed something where I can tap start, then forget about it. This application does that!! The variety of settings and the ability to cache tiles is a huge bonus. The app also relies heavily on OpenStreetMap, which is awesome. If I am going to an area with crappy coverage, I can update the map myself online and my updates will be in the app when I hit the water. Thank you!!
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Mar 11, 2016
- Version: 3.2.2
- Size: 42.6 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, French, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese
- Seller: Dirk Stichling
- © Dirk Stichling
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Extension Pack 1$2.99