Baby Names by Nametrix
By Verdant Labs, LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Fun, unique, and powerful - an incredible baby names app!
• View origins & meanings
• Hear pronunciations
• See recommendations based on your favorites
• View countries where each name is most common
• 100-year popularity graphs
• Name rankings by year
• Names for brothers/sisters
• Name variations
• Tags (e.g., Unisex, On Fire)
• See similar names (e.g., you might like Sophia if you like Isabella)
• Interactive popularity heat map
• Political party leanings
• Profession leanings
• Stripper name or not?
• Save and sort your favorites
• Share on Facebook and Twitter
Nametrix is chock full of real-world, data-driven analysis unrivaled by any other app, website, book, or anything else.
A sampling of what you'll find:
• Emma's most commonly found in Sweden, the UK, and Australia
• In the US, popularity peaked in 2003, but it's peaking again now
• It's currently the most popular name for girls in the US
• It's a vintage name, first popular in the early 1900s
• Other names you might like: Hannah, Abigail, Olivia, Lily
• Potential names for brothers: Samuel, Aiden, Noah, Marcus
• Variants include Ema, Emmah, Emme
• It's currently most popular in the southeastern part of the US
• Emmas have historically gravitated to creative professions such as Singer-songwriter
• Emmas have historically tended to be Democrats in the US
• Emma is not at all a "stripper name"
Top names for plumbers:
Top names for playwrights:
As for other professions, can you guess what Lexus, Stormie, Chastity, and Bambi have in common?
Featured on Good Morning America, Freakonomics.com, New York Times, Babble, Mashable, Disney Baby, Babyology, Parents.com, CafeMom, USA Today, The Daily Dot, and many more.
What's New in Version 2.3.0
• See suggestions based on your favorites!
• Feature enable/disable menu. Controversial features default to off.
If you like Nametrix, please leave a nice review and tell your friends — it really helps. If you've left a review for a previous version (thanks!), please consider renewing it.
So much info about my name I didn't know!
I've literally spent hours playing around with this app, looking up my own name, my kids' names, my friends' names, anyone I can think of. My name is popular among writers and directors which makes me feel very cool. The neatest feature is an interactive map where you can see where a name was most popular and when. Really useful if you don't want your daughter to share a name with eight other girls in her kindergarten class wherever you live!
I downloaded a lot of name apps before my first kid was born, but I definitely wish I'd had this one instead.
Love this app!
Thanks for adding another dimension to baby naming and a conversation starter for grandparents. It is by far the best naming app for parents seeking the perfect name for their new born as well as a fun conversation ice breaker for adults checking each other's names. Great info!
This is a really neat way to learn about the origins of names. Every new parent should try this. It's fun and easy to use.
- Category: Health & Fitness
- Updated: Feb 11, 2015
- Version: 2.3.0
- Size: 28.9 MB
- Languages: English, Bokmål, Norwegian, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: Verdant Labs, LLC
- © 2012 Verdant Labs
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.