By Scott Savarie
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Design quick mocks, directly on your phone.
Napkin is a lightweight user interface design tool made for mocking up quick ideas directly on your iPhone. Core features include:
1. Share your designs as PDFs through Dropbox, Slack, Email, and more
2. Ability to open PDFs in Sketch or Illustrator to continue working
3. Rectangle, circle, photo, label, paragraph, and icon layer types
4. Multiple artboards
5. Snap to grid
6. Pinching and zooming canvas
7. When zoomed in layers can be resized without snapping to grid
8. Layer locking and ordering
9. Double tap to edit any layer
10. Two finger tap to duplicate
11. Autosave of your mockups when you background the app
What's New in Version 2.6
Upload PNGs to InVision, Slack, and more!
Has potential but needs work
App is a good idea, nice design and is headed in a cool direction. However is a little too minimal to be of much use at this point.
A few badly needed features:
- UNDO. It's too easy to make mistakes, by clicking a wrong layer, etc. An undo action will make the app much less painful.
- Easy alignment. Currently very difficult to get layers properly aligned, centered or otherwise.
- better duplicate control. Two finger tap doesn't work well, just invites mistakes. Try an actual button or perhaps hard press.
- menu. App needs a menu for settings, art boards etc. too minimal right now, without much benefit. Why can't I name an art board? Without more controls/menus, hits scale problems at about 5 art boards, which defeats the whole purpose.
Good luck. App ain't bad but needs more work if you want anyone to actually use it.
The best app for "sketching" UI designs on your phone.
I've used Napkin since it was first released, and as a UI designer this app has pretty much replaced my sketchbook.
Recent updates like multiple artboards and Sketch export make this a great way to explore ideas on my phone before switching to Sketch when I'm ready to add detail.
This app works perfectly for sketching but I am having problems entering it, whenever I click on the its icon the app just pushes me back out to the iPhone screen. I have tried restarting the app and my phone but the problem persists. I don't want to delete the app and reinstall it because I will loose all my sketches. If anyone has an answer to this please reply.