narwhal for reddit
By Rick Harrison
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
narwhal is a fast, gesture-based application to browse all of reddit. All of these features were designed from the ground up specifically for iOS:
- View any and all subreddits
- A seamless experience to see a link and its comments at the same time
- Voting on posts and comments through a simple swipe
- Hide and save links to your reddit account
- Add new posts to your favorite subreddit
- View all of your orangereds
- What are you waiting for!? It’s free, go ahead and download!
What's New in Version 2.10
We hope you've been enjoying the updates. Come let us know more in /r/getnarwhal.
Reviews really help us out sooooooo much. If you wouldn't mind leaving us a review with some feedback, we'd really appreciate it! And we'll give you high fives in /r/getnarwhal. Here are the goods:
- Adds hide read/hide all/mark read buttons at the bottom of each page of links
- Adds /r/popular next to frontpage and all in the menu
- Fixes issue with a lot of Youtube videos not loading
- Fixes issue where GIFs would cause background audio to lower volume
- Adds custom volume indicator when adjusting volume
- Adds passcode lock option in advanced settings
- Usernames and subreddits are tappable in message lists.
- Adds support for reddit spoiler post tags
- Adds advanced setting to choose what should happen to background audio while watching a video
- Adds upvote ratios to posts
- Puts add shortcut button in subreddit options menu.
- Increases the tap size of the comments button in post lists
- Adds advanced setting to not show hide read/hide all buttons
- Adds advanced setting to always expand post titles
- Adds help section to advanced settings (Thanks /u/celsiusnarhwal!)
- Fixes bug where single comments were not able to be tapped
- Fixes bug where the last line would not have markdown formatting applied
- Fixes bug where white screen would show when clicking a message link
- Fixes bug with media view autoplaying after rotation.
- Fixes issue where scroll to top stops working in self posts
- Fixes issue with UI freeze after pausing or finishing a video
Let us know what you'd like to see in the next version in /r/getnarwhal!
Mostly function, but still full of bugs.
This app is a decent Reddit client. It's not notable for having much advantage over any other options, though. In that way, it's fairly mediocre, however, there are a few things that put it just below a 3-star rating for me.
Firstly, it's full of bugs. The search functionality barely works most of the time, and usually displays an "error occurred" message when I use it. Also, the subreddits are organized weirdly when searching for them. Overall, the search is barely functional most of the time.
Secondly, for whatever reason, the app won't display certain links. Like, it straight up doesn't load them, and makes you open them in your browser if you want to see them. Very annoying.
Lastly, the UI. It's... functional. But extremely, extremely basic and bland, and I've encounter plenty of weird design choices that other Reddit apps don't have, so it's a negative in this case.
Overall, i'd go with a different Reddit client if you don't have your heart set on this one. I really hope the author fixes all of the bugs, since that would push this review up to a four, or even five star rating for me if that were to happen.
Best Reddit Client
I review this app 5 stars after every update because that's how much I appreciate it. It's not perfect but the Devs are transparent in what they're working on and keep updates rather consistent. A million times better than the client made directly from Reddit. I did pay the couple bucks to remove ads but you can also share it to get a month or two without ads for free.
The Best Reddit Experience On iOS
Hands down. These developers are always pushing out new features (and leaving most optional in case you don't like them), are very active in their subreddit (so you can easily directly communicate with them.) and it is simply a joy to use this app.
I spend more time on Reddit every day than I care to admit, but this is the only way I'd want to do it.
- Category: News
- Updated: Mar 02, 2017
- Version: 2.10
- Size: 50.9 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Rick Harrison
- © 2016 Rick Harrison
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- narwhal pro upgrade$3.99