National Geographic Birds: Field Guide to North America
By National Geographic Society
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
National Geographic presents an innovative, beautiful, and interactive field guide to the birds of North America for all your Apple devices. Whether you are new to bird-watching or already an expert, this completely updated and redesigned app makes spotting, identifying, and understanding birds easier than ever before. From its detailed illustrations to its easy-to-use interface, this is the one-stop resource you need to identify and track every bird you see.
• The most comprehensive app on the market with 995 species.
• Robust search/sort/filter functionality—with real-time results—helps you locate species quickly and easily.
• Track all of your sightings in the My Journal section by adding location details, weather, photos, notes, and more with just the touch of a finger.
• Start your own life list, or peruse numerous lists compiled by National Geographic, including longest-distant migrants, endangered species, and species most likely to be spotted in regional hot-spots such as Cape Hattaras and Madera Canyon.
• Test your birding knowledge, and increase your identification skills, with custom-created quizzes, curated by experts at National Geographic.
• The Tool Kit feature contains all the essentials every birder needs—learn about birding ethics and must-have gear, as well as exclusive videos of bird vocalizations. A real-time newsfeed keeps users abreast of breaking news in the birding world.
• And so much more!
Each species is accompanied by gorgeous full-color illustrations—the trademark of our best-selling companion book, National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America— showing subspecies, juvenile birds, and seasonal plumage changes, as well as images of resting, roosting, swimming, and flying. Users can pinch and zoom to get a better view of the details. To make identification even easier, we’ve included field-mark annotations, which users can toggle off and on by tapping on the screen.
More than 800 up-to-date range maps show where birds can be seen in each season. In addition to winter and summer ranges, each map now features migration ranges and 40 subspecies range maps as well. Vivid color-coding and a drop-down map key make the smallest details crystal clear.
With its simple and smart navigation beautiful interface, and easy-to-use features, this app is sure to be a hit with every birder—from novice to expert!
**A School Library Journal Top App of 2013**
What's New in Version 3.5
This update eliminates several bugs and errors that our fantastic users helped us identify and diagnose. You can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fixed a bug that resulted freezing or crashing in Journal events with photos.
- Fixed a bug where the most recently added species was not appearing at the end of very long lists.
- Fixed a bug that prevented a new event from being added when location services were unavailable (iPhone only).
- Corrected erroneous abundance data for 70 species.
Pricy but worth it
This app is a little on the pricy side but is well worth it. With 995 species, it is very comprehensive. All species have one or up to three illustrations and one map. Most have a sound recording (like 80%) and some of the more common birds have up to five. The layout is clean and easy to follow which I like. As someone who is new in birding, all of the search features are very useful. You can search by color, size, location, and so on. I'm not very good at identifying birds yet so this helps a lot. The quizzes on the birds are a nice feature but not something to buy it for. The journal is nice and works well from what I can tell. The feature where you can list certain species is also nice but not that important. One thing I wish they would expand on is the videos of the birds. There are only around 10-15 videos and I really like them. Please add on that in future updates! Also, I hate how the maps cut off at the end of Mexico or end of Alaska even if the bird species keeps going more south. I would like to see the full location. Overall, nice, easy to use app. Would give four and a half stars, but rounding up for having so many species!
Back Yard Birder
I have only participated in backyard birding since 2007 and still have so much to learn! This app makes it easy to identify birds, even if you are a beginner. Just open the filter portion of the app, choose a region, feather color and bird size and match your bird by species. Listen to bird calls to identify birds you can hear but not see. If you make an identification error you can easily correct it yourself. One of my favorite options is dropping a pin on my sighting location, which aids with real scientific research. Then I get to brag about my contribution to science. My very favorite part of this app is posting my bird images and entering my personal observation notes. I have this app on an iPod and take pictures with my camera, put the images onto a larger screen tv and copy an image from the tv with my iPod, so the images I share are good ones. Get this app, it is worth the price!
Read this, it's worth it.
For a few days now, I've been going around my back yard, neighborhood, property in other states, and etc. to see if I could find any birds, and of course I did, I took pictures of several, and mapped each sighting in different places, this app is amazing just NG always is. The price may be a little high but this is better than many of the other apps that are actually even more pricy than this. I've seen some of the other reviews saying filters don't work, or can't find a bird, but I believe they got the app, spent about two minutes on it, and then wrote their reviews, while many of the the positive reviews were from people that spent enough time on the app to see its good traits.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Dec 02, 2013
- Version: 3.5
- Size: 855 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: National Geographic Society
- © National Geographic Society
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.