National Geographic Birds: Field Guide to North America
By National Geographic Society
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
**A School Library Journal Top App of 2013**
National Geographic presents an innovative, beautiful, and interactive field guide to the birds of North America for all your Apple devices. Whether you are new to bird-watching or already an expert, this completely updated and redesigned app makes spotting, identifying, and understanding birds easier than ever before. From its detailed illustrations to its easy-to-use interface, this is the one-stop resource you need to identify and track every bird you see.
• The most comprehensive app on the market with 995 species.
• Robust search/sort/filter functionality—with real-time results—helps you locate species quickly and easily.
• Track all of your sightings in the My Journal section by adding location details, weather, photos, notes, and more with just the touch of a finger.
• Start your own life list, or peruse numerous lists compiled by National Geographic, including longest-distant migrants, endangered species, and species most likely to be spotted in regional hot-spots such as Cape Hattaras and Madera Canyon.
• Test your birding knowledge, and increase your identification skills, with custom-created quizzes, curated by experts at National Geographic.
• The Tool Kit feature contains all the essentials every birder needs—learn about birding ethics and must-have gear, as well as exclusive videos of bird vocalizations. A real-time newsfeed keeps users abreast of breaking news in the birding world.
• And so much more!
Each species is accompanied by gorgeous full-color illustrations—the trademark of our best-selling companion book, National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America— showing subspecies, juvenile birds, and seasonal plumage changes, as well as images of resting, roosting, swimming, and flying. Users can pinch and zoom to get a better view of the details. To make identification even easier, we’ve included field-mark annotations, which users can toggle off and on by tapping on the screen.
More than 800 up-to-date range maps show where birds can be seen in each season. In addition to winter and summer ranges, each map now features migration ranges and 40 subspecies range maps as well. Vivid color-coding and a drop-down map key make the smallest details crystal clear.
With its simple and smart navigation beautiful interface, and easy-to-use features, this app is sure to be a hit with every birder—from novice to expert!
What's New in Version 3.5
This update eliminates several bugs and errors that our fantastic users helped us identify and diagnose. You can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fixed a bug that resulted freezing or crashing in Journal events with photos.
- Fixed a bug where the most recently added species was not appearing at the end of very long lists.
- Fixed a bug that prevented a new event from being added when location services were unavailable (iPhone only).
- Corrected erroneous abundance data for 70 species.
I am a biologist and took this to a setting I have never visited and used this instead of the traditional book and I like it! At the same time I tried another app for general wildlife and it was and is a disaster. One of the things I like most is being able to study the calls of birds before arriving at my destination. This is because I often hear the bird before seeing it or I do not see it at all the first visit. But being able to recognize the call makes a revisit worthwhile. Plus, I like the little add-on features. Now, if they just made this quality of app for plants, reptiles, mammals, amphibians, and other organisms I would have a great library of books on my iPad.
NATGEO Field Guide
Very nice app!
Extremely well put together. Extensive information. It is very easy to use the filters to figure out what you are looking at.
The quizzes are fun, and sort of helpful.
Overall very nice!
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Dec 02, 2013
- Version: 3.5
- Size: 855 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: National Geographic Society
- © National Geographic Society
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.