National Geographic Magazine
By National Geographic Society
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Ranked best among newsstand apps for 2012 by Apple. National Geographic magazine is available on iPhone and iPad. Subscribe once and get National Geographic magazine on both devices. Existing print and digital subscribers get complimentary access to both editions.
Here are details on our subscription* offers:
Annual subscription: $19.99 (12 issues)
Monthly subscription: $1.99/month (1 issue)
Single issues: $4.99/issue
Back issues of National Geographic magazine for iPad start with our February 2011 issue and November 2012 for iPhone.
• Payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase.
• Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period.
• Account will be charged for renewal within 24hours of the end of the current period, and the cost of the renewal will be provided.
• Subscriptions may be managed by the user. Auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user’s iTunes Account Settings after purchase.
• No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period.
• Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication.
About the National Geographic Society
The National Geographic Society has been inspiring people to care about the planet since 1888. It is one of the largest nonprofit scientific and educational institutions in the world. Its interests include geography, archaeology, and natural science, and the promotion of environmental and historical conservation.
What's New in Version 2.5.1
App icon and branding updates
Better before update, no bookmarks, no Plus support
Before updating, when I came back to the app after closing it, it would remember where I was in each article. I tend to read articles a bit at a time on the train, and having to find my place each time is irritating -- especially since it used to be fine. And unlike some others, I actually preferred the page by page scrolling vs continuous. That's not a huge issue if it would remember where I was or provide bookmarks though. The new design also wastes space at the top of eac screen for a new, rather pointless toolbar. I'd rather it maximize screen real estate for the content and provide (infrequently used) tools via some other method. Overall, I love the content, but am disappointed in the new version of the app.
Update: the above issues are still problems -- especially that it doesn't remember where you left off reading. And now there's a new problem: the photos for which the magazine receives so much acclaim, do not scale up to fill the screen on the 6 Plus (nor 6S Plus?). Very annoying.
Wonderful. Finally able to read my Nat Geos. Picture quality awesome, haven't needed to change text size. One complaint so far... When my phone auto locks after not having touched the screen for a few minutes (I think mine is set to auto lock at 5 minutes) it scrolls you all the back to the beginning of the article!!!!!!! Losing your place while reading, having to go back and find where you ACTUALLY left off. That's my only problem so far with the app. Otherwise, hooray for Nat Geo!!!
5 stars with basic improvements
First off, I love having the ability to read national geographic in app form and I'm not even a regular buyer of their magazines. Having the articles of each issue laid in a table of contents and without ads is a huge boon for me. Also reading the text on a scrolling screen is much easier on my eyes so I find myself more immersed in the stories than I otherwise would be. Buuuuuut NatGeo needs to do two things to make this app great.
1. Please let us preview the monthly issues! The lack of even just a brief caption is shocking. Who doesn't thumb through a magazine for a second before buying it? That impulse should be catered to here in digital as well.
2. BOOKMARKING! The interface for the articles is great but having to scroll down to find my place each time I leave the app is needlessly cumbersome.
Fix these two (basic) issues and I'll change my review to five stars.
- Category: News
- Updated: Aug 27, 2015
- Version: 2.5.1
- Size: 14.3 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: National Geographic Society
- © National Geographic Society
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- National Geographic magazine$19.99
- National Geographic magazine$1.99
- National Geographic Magazine April 2012 issue$4.99
- October 2011 Issue$4.99
- National Geographic Magazine April 2011 Issue $4.99
- December 2011 Issue$4.99
- National Geographic Magazine March 2012 Issue$4.99
- National Geographic Magazine June 2011 Issue$4.99
- National Geographic Magazine May 2011 Issue$4.99
- January 2012 Issue$4.99