National Geographic Magazine
By National Geographic Society
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Ranked best among newsstand apps for 2012 by Apple. National Geographic magazine is available on iPhone and iPad. Subscribe once and get National Geographic magazine on both devices. Existing print and digital subscribers get complimentary access to both editions.
Here are details on our subscription* offers:
Annual subscription: $19.99 (12 issues)
Monthly subscription: $1.99/month (1 issue)
Single issues: $4.99/issue
Back issues of National Geographic magazine for iPad start with our February 2011 issue and November 2012 for iPhone.
• Payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase.
• Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period.
• Account will be charged for renewal within 24hours of the end of the current period, and the cost of the renewal will be provided.
• Subscriptions may be managed by the user. Auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user’s iTunes Account Settings after purchase.
• No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period.
• Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication.
About the National Geographic Society
The National Geographic Society has been inspiring people to care about the planet since 1888. It is one of the largest nonprofit scientific and educational institutions in the world. Its interests include geography, archaeology, and natural science, and the promotion of environmental and historical conservation.
What's New in Version 2.4.5
--Fixed an issue where a user might have an issue stuck in the extracting state after completing a download.
Better before update, no bookmarks
Before updating, when I came back to the app after closing it, it would remember where I was in each article. I tend to read articles a bit at a time on the train, and having to find my place each time is irritating -- especially since it used to be fine. And unlike some others, I actually preferred the page by page scrolling vs continuous. That's not a huge issue if it would remember where I was or provide bookmarks though. The new design also wastes space at the top of eac screen for a new, rather pointless toolbar. I'd rather it maximize screen real estate for the content and provide (infrequently used) tools via some other method. Overall, I love the content, but am disappointed in the new version of the app.
Love NatGeo, hate the iPad App
App should remember exactly the page I was viewing, when I re-open the app. Plus there's some bug that keeps closing a News Article on Venezuala that I'm trying to read in the magazine. As I attempt to scroll down the article, it 8 out of 10 times closes the article! I have given up, will not be able to read the entire article. Should allow us to bookmark specific pages too, for returning to them next week, next month, etc. Even better would be a way to highlight a bit of text on a page!
Terrible iPhone optimization
Despite the iPhone's small screen (relative to the iPad's), the app still only allows for page-by-page—not continuous—scrolling. Adding to this app's problems is its lack of full optimization for iPhone, and especially for iPhone 5/5s (black bars appear at the bottom and top of the screen within issues). As a side note, the audio recordings of the articles—while, in theory, an excellent feature—do not play unless your iPhone/iPad screen is on, which renders them rather useless. Why would I want to listen to an article when reading it would use just as much battery?
- Category: News
- Updated: Jan 30, 2014
- Version: 2.4.5
- Size: 14.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: National Geographic Society
- © National Geographic Society
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- National Geographic magazine$19.99
- National Geographic magazine$1.99
- National Geographic Magazine April 2012 issue$4.99
- October 2011 Issue$4.99
- July 2014$4.99
- National Geographic Magazine April 2011 Issue $4.99
- December 2011 Issue$4.99
- National Geographic Magazine March 2012 Issue$4.99
- National Geographic Magazine June 2011 Issue$4.99
- National Geographic Magazine May 2011 Issue$4.99