National Geographic World Atlas
By National Geographic Society
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The National Geographic World Atlas brings you the highest resolution map images available, delivering the stunning detail, accuracy, and beauty National Geographic is known for.
ALL MAPS IN HD
• All National Geographic maps are in HD for retina-displays, giving you the best viewing experience possible.
• New infographics enhance each country's Flags and Facts section.
• Better measurement tools give you even more accuracy.
• Store your pins in the cloud and share them across devices. Plan a trip on your iPad, then use your customized map on your iPhone.
• Add and customize collections of map pins
• Get up-to-the-minute weather
• Check the latest currency conversion rates, or use the currency calculator to convert from one currency to another
• See latitude and longitude indications directly, with a tap of your finger.
See the world in any style you prefer: classic (blue ocean), antique, satellite, or road map style (provided by Bing maps).
Spin, pan, and zoom in on the world with our interactive 3-D globe and seamless world map layers. Place pins to mark spots and save them for later.
FLAGS AND FACTS
Get up-to-date information on every country and capital city in the world, including socio-economic data, demographics, weather, and currency.
**All maps, pins, and latitude-longitude coordinates are for reference-use only, and are not meant for navigational use.
**Please Note: this app requires an initial network (cellular or wifi) connection to download maps for offline use.
What's New in Version 3.4
- Updated launch screen & design for iOS7.
- Addresses minor bug displaying weather graphics in the Capital & City sections of the location detail pages.
- Addressed slight text issue on the South Sudan location detail page.
-Updated links to other National Geographic Apps,
- Major update to the National Geographic Cartographic Policy statement.
I have not seen any of the problems running the app that others report. I suggest that people who have the app crash do a restore on their iPad. I found the response time to be quite quick on my iPad 3.
The app has a nice virtual globe. The tool for measuring distances is a nice touch. It is not as strikingly beautiful as a $100 paper atlas, but it is a good value at $2. It would be nice if the maps were more detailed. I would buy another edition of the atlas that was 10-20 times larger in size if it had much greater detail.
I own a set of the National Geographic maps from the 1940s and 1950s. They are flat out beautiful and historically quite interesting. I would buy a set of the old school maps if they were offered. Ancient maps would also be of interest to me.
Great reference app
One obvious benefit of the iPad is the ability to replace bulky reference books with a single device. As someone whose work often requires the use of maps, I have found this to be a great replacement for printed atlases, whether I'm at home, at the office, or in the library. It may not be perfect for some of the uses mentioned in the negative reviews (like cross-country trips), and there are still some things that this can't do well as printed atlases (reflect changes in borders or place names over time, or show the tiniest or most obscure geographic features). But as a general reference work -- or for answering questions or just exploring the world from home -- there is no better atlas app out there.
Downloadable maps won't download fully
Update: several months have passed, and the app's downloadable maps still stall at 61%, rather than transferring completely. I've been trying for months now, and every single time the maps stop at precisely 61%. Must be a server issue, as I've tried in multiple locations. Renders the app unusable without an Internet connection.
Another problem is that there's still not nearly as much detail as there is in a good print atlas. I wish they'd include another level of country-specific detail for download—maybe as an in-app purchase?
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Nov 08, 2013
- Version: 3.4
- Size: 215 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: National Geographic Society
- © National Geographic Society
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.