The Navajo Toddler App is designed for children ages 2 to 9 to learn to speak the Navajo language through the use of interactive visual flashcards, audio, and gameplay lessons.
The use of the app will introduce children to basic Navajo vocabulary in categories such as numbers, food, colors, body parts, common sayings, and animals. Children can flip through the fun illustrated flash cards for a visual association of the word and listen to the audio pronunciation of each word to get familiar with how the word is spoken. Once a child becomes familiar with the words they can play a visual and audio game that will give them three fun illustrations to choose from and one word in Navajo to increase there memory of words and pronunciation. The game is random and kids can keep playing an increase their knowledge of the language.
Learning Navajo is a fun and exciting exercise for your child especially at a very young age. With the Navajo Toddler app, your child will enjoy the attraction of interactive flashcards, audio, and the positive feedback and progression through gameplay of the play module.
Here's what is in the Navajo Toddler app:
• Develop basic vocabulary in Navajo
• Immerse your child through our use of a native Navajo speaker
• Form word relationships quickly with categories of content
• High-quality and fun illustrations that help increase retention and
How to play:
• Select a lesson or category.
• Swipe from image to image and tap on the image to listen to the
native Navajo speaker
• Have you child repeat the word in Navajo to practice pronunciation
• Watch as your child enjoys learning the Navajo language.
• Select play
• Listen to the native Navajo speaker say the word.
• Click on one of the three images that match the word.
• After selecting the correct word and getting feedback, a new word
and set of images will appear.
• Your child can keep playing and become more familiar with
each word and pronunciation.
Additional features and lessons coming soon!
- various bug fixes for game
- support for iPhone 6 and 6 plus
- song section by Jolyana Begay
Ratings and Reviews
Has basic colors and items. Clear pronunciation so words are easy to pick up. Though, I do wish the also had the English word to help my toddler associate more then just a picture. Also if the picture were itself animated with facial features, like a brain or door having eyes so that also made it confusing. But, Great and simple app for free!
Words are right pictures are wrong
The speaker is obviously a dinè Navajo native speaker. BUT the pictures do NOT match up with the words. Sash is bear but it shows a picture of a sheep. Needs to be fixed. It’s a GREAT little app for your young one otherwise.
Had so much fun sitting with my family (we are not Navajo) and learning words and listening to the music. Great pronunciations, easy to understand pictures and great music. If you have any more music to share that would be amazing! Great job!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.