By Garmin Wuerzburg GmbH
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Whether on holiday, taking a weekend trip or heading off somewhere as yet unfamiliar – with NAVIGON, you can be sure of getting there quickly and safely! Transform your iPhone into a full-performance satnav system that includes onboard maps so that you can always find your way – even when no internet connection (1) is available.
*** Range of functions ***
- Onboard map material: only carry the road maps on your iPhone that you really need. Thus you save memory space and can navigate even when no internet connection is available.
- Intelligent address entry (1): thanks to the first-class, simplified address entry, which can be operated using the keypad or via voice input, you’ll find your quicker than ever before.
- Precise voice commands, including street names: just concentrate on driving the car.
- The latest traffic reports (1,2): avoid annoying traffic jams automatically.
- Hazard warnings (1,2): you can choose to receive alerts of danger spots such as mobile speed traps.
- POI search: find your destination even without entering the address directly – locally, community-based or using Augmented Reality.
- Real signage and road sign displays: you always have an overview thanks to photo-realistic views of junctions and road signs.
- Dynamic lane assistant: at junctions where the exit is unclear or on motorway exits, be guided into the right lane every time.
- Speed assistant: NAVIGON warns you visually or audibly if you are exceeding the posted speed limit.
- Optimal route: choose the right option for you, from up to three suggested routes.
- Route planning: plan longer trips with multiple destinations en route.
- Expanded pedestrian navigation: navigate to your destination on foot as well – or use Urban Guidance (1,2) if you also want to include public transport.
- Many other in-app purchases possible: 3D maps showing mountains and valleys, Cockpit and much more.
*** Maps ***
- Latest Map Guarantee for the latest HERE maps (3), with the following coverage: USA
- NAVIGON FreshMaps XL (2): For a one-off payment, you get the latest map updates from experts up to four times a year, for two years! This ensures that your app is always up-to-date, containing the latest changes of the road network and many new points of interest.
*** Please note the following ***
The correct positioning of your iPhone in the vehicle is very important for optimum GPS reception. Continuous use of GPS can shorten battery life.
Please also note our FAQ section at www.navigon.com.
Due to the high data volume of the maps, we recommend using WiFi for the initial installation.
NAVIGON wishes you a lot of fun from your navigation – whether in the car, on a bike or on foot!
1) To be able to provide you with the latest reports at all times, some functions require an internet connection (e.g. traffic reports or speed camera alerts). However, the navigation system itself, including address search, speed display, driving lane assistant and much more, does not require the internet.
2) Available as an additional in-app purchase.
3) You get the most up-to-date maps at the time you purchase the app
What's New in Version 2.17
- Just activate VoiceCommand with a simple gesture and control essential functions with your voice. The range of functions will be expanded successively in upcoming app updates.*
- Simplified map search by automatically switching to 2D map mode when tapping
- When using the search bar, favorites, recent destinations and iPhone contacts are now taken into account as well
- Improved map display on various display resolutions, more detailed zoom levels with haptic feedback (when using iOS 10 and iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus) and terrain maps in 2D (requires Panorama View 3D)
- Improved positioning under unfavorable GPS conditions
- Navigate up to 70% longer without external power connection
- Improved Arabic language support
- Various stability improvements and bug fixes
* Requires data connection, iPhone running iOS 10, iPad not supported
Great app for offline navigation
This is my go to app when I am in Canada and don't want to pay outrageous roaming fees to AT&T. But even in the USA it is great for places where your carrier doesn’t have coverage - like in the middle of a national park. Because you only need to download the maps that you use, you save tons of storage space.
If you only want to turn off cellular data use in the app (and not for your whole phone), go into Settings -> Cellular and disable Navigon. Just note that if you do this and don’t have a Wi-Fi connection, you cannot search by name but will need to enter a physical address. You can still search by POI. Somehow, cellular data was disabled during the latest update and I thought the app had problems.
I've been complaining about this app's short comings for a long time but over the last year this app has made some significant updates to address the issues that were bothering me, as well as adding some new features that are pretty fantastic.
1. Deleting all your downloaded maps: this problem seems to be fixed.
2. The previously useless search bar now searches in recent destinations, favorites, and contacts. I have been waiting for them to do this for YEARS.
4. Voice commands. This last update added the ability to access some basic menu functions using voice recognition. Not integrated with Siri, apparently, but you can always ask Siri to open the app for you and go from there.
I still have some complaints; adding a destination is still a bit clunky unintuitive and unnecessarily complex. You can't customize the order of items on the map menu (although voice commands might make this a moot point) and in general there's too many buttons to handle a few simple tasks. Overall though, I'm satisfied with this app.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Navigation
- Updated: Dec 15, 2016
- Version: 2.17
- Size: 144 MB
- Apple Watch: Yes
- Languages: English, Arabic, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Seller: Garmin Wuerzburg GmbH
- © 2016 Garmin Würzburg GmbH
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Traffic LIVE$19.99
- Panorama View 3D$9.99
- USA Speedcams$4.99
- Fresh Maps XL NorthAmerica$39.99
- Urban Guidance$4.99